Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While we’ve always practiced using ear protection, we’ve never hunted with ear plugs or muffs. However, as I’m trying to get back into handgun hunting, ear protection ins an absolute must when using my S&W 460. Unbearable for anyone within eyesight! 😁 Inserting ear protection prior to making a shot is impractical and as we hunt in grizzly country and both of us are allergic to bear bite....being able to hear when hunting is a good thing!

So after some research, we ordered 2 sets of AXIL GS Extreme noise canceling, sound enhancing, blue tooth, ear buds yesterday! Hopefully, we’ll get to test them when hunting, and not just in the backyard. If they will mute that 460, and enhance hearing while hunting.....I will be a “happy camper”!

Someday, I’ll report back on our impression of their performance! memtb

·
Premium Member
12,805 Posts
They should work well as long as the fit is good and you can wear them for a long period in comfort. They will also help you to hear sounds better than with no enhancement. Muffs are fine also if they fit well and are not to tight.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They should work well as long as the fit is good and you can wear them for a long period in comfort. They will also help you to hear sounds better than with no enhancement. Muffs are fine also if they fit well and are not to tight.
We watched several You Tube videos, and they were pretty highly rated! Muffs would be nice, but difficult to use with rifles and hot in summer! We thought for year round use, and some rifle use.....the ears buds may be our best option. Supposedly, they’re comfortable for long term use....time will tell! memtb

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I turkey hunted this past spring with my e-muffs. I heard a lot of gobbles. They work fine indoors too.
What NRR do they have?

Reactions: 94win30wcf

·
Registered
95 Posts
The only problem I have with electronic hearing protection while hunting is that it's often times VERY difficult to discern the exact direction a sound is coming from. You're natural hearing let's you pinpoint a sound's direction, electronic ear pro doesn't; it's either coming from where you are looking, or it's coming from where you aren't looking. Where you aren't looking is a big space. In the situation with a bear charge that ability to pinpoint the sound might be a valuable asset instead of wasting precious split seconds searching for what's making a sound that's outside of your immediate vision.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only problem I have with electronic hearing protection while hunting is that it's often times VERY difficult to discern the exact direction a sound is coming from. You're natural hearing let's you pinpoint a sound's direction, electronic ear pro doesn't; it's either coming from where you are looking, or it's coming from where you aren't looking. Where you aren't looking is a big space. In the situation with a bear charge that ability to pinpoint the sound might be a valuable asset instead of wasting precious split seconds searching for what's making a sound that's outside of your immediate vision.
Yes, this was a concern! Supposedly, and time will tell, these are supposed to be omnidirectional. Having both buds receiving is supposed to help with ascertaining the direction of the sound! I’m gonna be disappointed if they don’t work! memtb

Reactions: The Appalachian

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I turkey hunted this past spring with my e-muffs. I heard a lot of gobbles. They work fine indoors too.
What NRR do they have?
They come with both silicon and foam inserts. The foam is supposed to be a 29 decibel reduction, which is not bad! It’s right up there with some of the very high priced competitors! memtb

Reactions: Steve_In

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
ear protection ins an absolute must when using my S&W 460.
I know what you mean! There was a guy at the local indoor range shooting one, and it was unpleasant just to be standing in the spectator area on the other side of the thick plexiglass. Fortunately, he was the only one on the firing line and no one else had to suffer the concussive "CRACK!!!".

Reactions: memtb

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Yes, this was a concern! Supposedly, and time will tell, these are supposed to be omnidirectional. Having both buds receiving is supposed to help with ascertaining the direction of the sound! I’m gonna be disappointed if they don’t work! memtb
I had that trouble with my muffs. I did not have any gobblers close enough to matter though.
If the mic is in your ear that will help.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
You should be able to tell whether they will allow you directional hearing before you take them into the woods. Wear them outside. See if you can tell where cars are coming from down the road. Practice may help.

Make sure you have enough batteries with you when you go. At least one set per day hunting. And that you can change them easily.

Also, make sure that the buds fit snugly inside your ear canals and that they seal there. They will do very little good if the sound can get around them. And they need to be comfortable also as you'll be wearing them all day.

You might consider a tether line between the two to help prevent loss. If you are a heavy ear wax producer, have your ears cleaned out before you go. Insertion of the buds can cause ear wax to be pushed deeper into your canal, obstructing it. This will not help either your hearing or the buds.

The practical limit of hearing reduction is about 30-32 db. Sounds louder than that will be conducted through your head bones directly into your inner ear. So don't expect complete silence when you shoot.

For maximum protection I wear custom molded ear plugs with muffs over them. Reduction is still only about 30 db, but it helps reduce the concussion of the muzzle blast.

I've never tried the electronic devices intended for hunting. Typical electronic muffs are intended to pass speaking frequencies. Don't know how they would do on animal sounds, footsteps on leaves, breaking twigs, etc. Please let us know.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HIKayaker, I will certainly give my opinion, and perhaps more importantly.....my wife’s opinion! 😁 Though, it may be a month or two before the report is given!

Batteries: rechargeable.... supposed to last 12 hours, requires less than 2 hours to recharge, or at least that’s what I read somewhere yesterday

Sound enhancement: multiple volume settings. Some said that at maximum, hearing everything amplified was a bit distracting....hearing things we’re not accustomed to hearing

·
Super Moderator
12,319 Posts
I know what you mean! There was a guy at the local indoor range shooting one, and it was unpleasant just to be standing in the spectator area on the other side of the thick plexiglass. Fortunately, he was the only one on the firing line and no one else had to suffer the concussive "CRACK!!!".
I see people cringe when I shot my Dan Wesson 44 with 6" ported barrel.
Damn that thing is loud.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I see people cringe when I shot my Dan Wesson 44 with 6" ported barrel.
Damn that thing is loud.
Yeah, with most folks shooting 9mm and 380s at the indoor range, even my snub .357 turns heads when it goes off. In the case of the guy with the .460 Magnum, had I paid for a stall, I probably would have gone to the front desk and demanded that they stop my timer until the other guy finished. That .460 sounded like a giant bowling pin being whacked. I couldn't handle being in an enclosed space with that thing going off.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 460 makes everything else I own seem “very” tame by comparison.....of course, nothing else (handgun or rifle) is braked! That brake sure makes it sweet to shoot though! I looked for a sleeve to cover the ports and reduce the blast and see how much the recoil was increased! memtb

·
Super Moderator
12,319 Posts
Yeah, with most folks shooting 9mm and 380s at the indoor range, even my snub .357 turns heads when it goes off. In the case of the guy with the .460 Magnum, had I paid for a stall, I probably would have gone to the front desk and demanded that they stop my timer until the other guy finished. That .460 sounded like a giant bowling pin being whacked. I couldn't handle being in an enclosed space with that thing going off.
lol - I had a RO come by and tell me the black powder range was "over yonder" (smoke from home made lube).
I explained it was 44 magnum reloads and he gave me stink eye and walked away.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have the Axil GS ear pro. Note that the rated NRR is with the electronics turned off, from what I can tell. With the electronics on, they seem to let in more sound than my electronic muffs, but I have no way of measuring that. I haven't used them in a hunting situation yet, but it's easy enough to leave them turned on until you're ready to shoot, then flip the switch.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol - I had a RO come by and tell me the black powder range was "over yonder" (smoke from home made lube).
I explained it was 44 magnum reloads and he gave me stink eye and walked away.
When I was a young “poor boy” wanting to shoot a lot with cast bullets in my 44 mag, I used a lithium based automotive grease as bullet lube. It worked, but made smoke with a very unusual odor! Had some pretty humorous reactions from other shooters a metallic silhouette match! 😁 memtb

1 - 20 of 32 Posts