Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its been a while since I looked at some Remlin 336 lever actions so I decided to go to Cabelas to take a look at some. Well, I did not like what I saw. You would think they had enough time to figure out how to build a nice looking lever action by now. I purchased a 336BL manufactured July 2013 and it put every one of the newer Remlins to shame. The stocks look cheap. The serial numbers on the side with the small emblem or what ever it’s called can be used to file your finger nails. What is going on? Is Remington starting to cut costs again? The stocks look so poor that i can honestly say they are the worst looking stocks I’ve seen on a Remlin.
The only good looking one I’ve seen was a few months ago. The light colored maple 336. But, the serial numbers, and that emblem. Come on, that’s the best they can do? I guess I’m lucky what I have. We don’t need a nail file on the side of our firearms. I hope something can be done to make a better looking Lever Action.
Well, I feel better, I had to get it out and talk about it. My apologies everyone.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would help some. The stocks I saw looked very rough. I’ve seen stocks on cheap rifles look better than the ones I looked at. I guess If you want a halfway decent looking stock you have to buy a premium rifle. But years back Marlin had decent stocks on entry level rifles.

Ether do the checkering right or don’t do it at all. And, do a better sanding job and at least apply enough coats and sand between coats to fill grain on the stock.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
They should leave the checkering off. I would think that would be one less step and a cost saver.
I really believe if they left off that "checkering" and offered smooth stocks they would probably sell more. I check them often as I'm in gunshops every week and while quality has improved some, there are still plenty of bones in the racks. I won't shell out the money they want for them when there are plenty of JM guns available in great shape for less than the new ones, and sometimes much less. I did see a new 444 though and that one looked real nice except for the laser etched QR code on the side. Nothing says "classic rifle" like having a laser etched QR code burned into the side of the receiver LOL. They even did some models with fancy engraving (probably laser etched too) and when they get the design down to the QR code, they just go around it!

roadpaint.jpg

·
Registered
978 Posts
I know I've said it before on this forum, but the checkering I have seen on the Remlins I have inspected is far the worse I've seen.

The last one I handled at a gun show had the tips of the diamonds flaking off. It was a mess of splinters.

The matt finish on the stocks is also terrible in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I know I've said it before on this forum, but the checkering I have seen on the Remlins I have inspected is far the worse I've seen.

The last one I handled at a gun show had the tips of the diamonds flaking off. It was a mess of splinters.

The matt finish on the stocks is also terrible in my opinion.
The checkering needs to be left off if they can't get it right. The ones I have looked at are so bad that it would be a chore to try to straighten the lines and point the diamonds up with a checkering tool.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Its been a while since I looked at some Remlin 336 lever actions so I decided to go to Cabelas to take a look at some. Well, I did not like what I saw. You would think they had enough time to figure out how to build a nice looking lever action by now. I purchased a 336BL manufactured July 2013 and it put every one of the newer Remlins to shame. The stocks look cheap. The serial numbers on the side with the small emblem or what ever it’s called can be used to file your finger nails. What is going on? Is Remington starting to cut costs again? The stocks look so poor that i can honestly say they are the worst looking stocks I’ve seen on a Remlin.
The only good looking one I’ve seen was a few months ago. The light colored maple 336. But, the serial numbers, and that emblem. Come on, that’s the best they can do? I guess I’m lucky what I have. We don’t need a nail file on the side of our firearms. I hope something can be done to make a better looking Lever Action.
Well, I feel better, I had to get it out and talk about it. My apologies everyone.
If you really want to see night and day, compare it to my 1951 336 A that my father bought new. No comparison!

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I gave up on Remington Outdoors. Awhile back Bob Gretchen had a Remington Rep on his program and he was bragging how well their Custom Shop was doing. He evaded the questions Bob was asking him about their problems and never answered the questions. Bob was gentle with him, but he had no answers.

After all the years they've been at it, you would of thought they could iron out their QC problems. NADA.

Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield PA is the largest Gun Dealer in my home State. I am surprised that they still sell a lot of Remington Rifles. But they are not selling Marlins. They have an entire page of their quarterly printed flyer dedicated to Henry Rifles. Their prices are competitive and they stock most models they can get their hands on.

Remington Outdoors :goodnight:

Mike T.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
buckeyeshooter, I believe you, I don’t call mine a show piece but it’s better than most that I’ve seen recently.

I’ve been reading that Marlin started putting QR code’s on rifles back in 2009. I looked all over on the 336 BL that was manufactured on July 2013 and there is no QR code to be found any place on the receiver. The serial number was Laser etched in on the left side but at least that QR code is not there.

·
Registered
13,748 Posts
buckeyeshooter, I believe you, I don’t call mine a show piece but it’s better than most that I’ve seen recently.

I’ve been reading that Marlin started putting QR code’s on rifles back in 2009. I looked all over on the 336 BL that was manufactured on July 2013 and there is no QR code to be found any place on the receiver. The serial number was Laser etched in on the left side but at least that QR code is not there.
I own a May of 2012 Remlin .44 Mag 1894. The QR code is on the little flat surface under the hammer with the bolt closed. You've really got to look for it. My serial number is laser etched on the lower left receiver, but smooth. The old girl will put all her shots in a compact cluster, hot barrel or cold barrel, the only thing she asks is to have the barrel slightly dirty. It takes a few shots to settle down after a good cleaning. One of my favorite rifles because of its extreme accuracy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rob42049, thanks for the info. I need to pull it out and look for that ugly marking. I’ve been thinking of an 1894. It sure would be nice to have one. I’ve been trying to decide on the caliber. Glad to hear yours is a good accurate shooter.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I gave up on Remington Outdoors. Awhile back Bob Gretchen had a Remington Rep on his program and he was bragging how well their Custom Shop was doing. He evaded the questions Bob was asking him about their problems and never answered the questions. Bob was gentle with him, but he had no answers.

After all the years they've been at it, you would of thought they could iron out their QC problems. NADA.

Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield PA is the largest Gun Dealer in my home State. I am surprised that they still sell a lot of Remington Rifles. But they are not selling Marlins. They have an entire page of their quarterly printed flyer dedicated to Henry Rifles. Their prices are competitive and they stock most models they can get their hands on.

Remington Outdoors :goodnight:

Mike T.
The good thing about Grice is that if you hit the used rack at the right time, they have some marlins and winchesters. I love that store. My mom's family is from Duboise.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts