Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has some minor pitting but no visible rust. Stock shows dings and scratches, but no cracks. Fired it last weekend, had 3 FTGBs (Failure To Go Bang :() out of 16 using Hornady ammo. Examination of the ammo showed a definite difference in the primer strike depth. I have not searched the forums for a possible cause/solution yet, but if someone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

-Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Pull the butt stock off. You will see the hammer spring which looks like a leaf spring. Make sure the screw holding it on is tight. The spring may be weak and need to be replaced. Other than that I would do a full tear down and clean the rifle. With the bolt out if you shake it back and forth you should be able to hear/feel the firing pin moving back and forth. If it doesn't it needs to be taken apart and inspected for breakage or gunk. Clean lube and reassemble!

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Be Yoo Ti Full !

Would you be so kind as to post a pic of the JM stamp ? Just curious as to how the old ones looked/how neatly they were stamped.

Reactions: buckweet

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Thanks for the compliment, and see the post re: JM stamp. What is a JM stamp?

-Jim
Well it appears vintage Marlins did not have a JM stamp.

But sometime along the way Marlin stamped JM on left side of barrel right in front of the receiver, and just behind of.... the site on barrel's receiver end.

Along the way, it also seems that sometimes they were/got "sloppily stamped" too. My 1895CB's JM stamp is actually just an 'M....or at least appears to be to my eyes.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
There's no JM stamp on the vintage Marlins. Not sure what date they started the "JM" stamp?
Thank you. I did not know vintage Marlins did not have the JM stamp. I just presumed that all "Pre -Remington Marlins" did. Looks like I'm still learning here on M.O.F. which I always like.

Reactions: lever addict

·
Registered
292 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous rifle. I love the classic straight stock. So slick going in and out of a saddle scabbard.

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
nice lookin' rifle

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Very nice. So when it did go bang how did it do?

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
Beautiful! Thanks for posting the pictures. I'm droolin' here! :tee:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hard to make any comments on the accuracy, since I was at a local indoor range shooting unsupported at 25 yards. I just wanted to see if it still worked, and it did(most of the time). I did manage to place the whole group in the black. As far as loading, feeding, action, eject, and trigger ... all smooth without incident. Kicked like a mule and a heck of a lot of fun. I am mostly a shot-gunner and the crescent butt-plate took some getting use to. I'm going to do the recommended take-down and cleaning, take it to an outdoor range, get on a good, stable bench and see what happens at 100-200 yards.

-jim

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
What a wonderful old rifle!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts