Marlin Firearms Forum banner

just got a Walther PPK/S at gun show, is there a recall on decocker?

2187 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Barenjager
I read on another thread there was and wondered how I could see if my used gun was repaired or not. I personally don't think I'd trust a decocker safety if a round was chambered but would like it fixed if it can be for free. Just wondered if anyone here knew and I guess I'll email S & W to see what they say. Thanks,
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
In a word, yes. S&W issued a recall for their entire production of the Walther PPK/S guns, and it was related to the safety.

I'm not exactly sure what the issue was/is.

I had a FEG copy of a Walther PP. If the decocker/safety was not depressed rapidly and totally, it was possible to have a discharge, as it decocked before the hammer block portion was properly in position. Remember rule #1! Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction!

A completely useless link except to confirm that some PPK's and PPK/S's are under recall. Contact S&W for confirmation that your is under recall or excluded.
Smith & Wesson press release from February 2009.

Smith & Wesson has identified a condition that may exist in certain PPK and PPK/S pistols which may permit a round to be discharged without the trigger being pulled. When the manual safety is disengaged, Smith & Wesson’s Product Engineering Group has determined that the possibility exists in certain firearms that lowering the hammer may cause a chambered round to fire.

This recall applies to all Walther PPK and PPK/S pistols manufactured by Smith & Wesson from March 21, 2002, until February 3, 2009. The Serial Numbers of the pistol subject to this recall are as follows:

BAB 0010-BAB 9999
BAC 0000-BAC 9999
BAD 0000-BAD 9999
LTD 0000-LTD 0499
PPK 0001-PPK 1500
BAE 0000-BAE 9999
BAF 0000-BAF 9999
WLE 0001-WLE 0459
BAH 0000-BAH 9999
BAJ 0000-BAJ 9999
BAK 0000-BAK 9999
REP 0026-REP 0219
BAL 0000-BAL 5313
BAM 0000-BAM 1320


Any unintended discharge of a firearm has the potential for causing injury, and we ask that you stop using your pistol immediately.

To facilitate the repair of your pistol, please contact Smith & Wesson’s customer service department to receive instructions for the return of your pistol to Smith & Wesson.

When you return your pistol to Smith & Wesson, we will replace the existing hammer block feature with a new part at no cost to you. Your firearm will be returned as quickly and efficiently as possible.

To receive a UPS pre-paid billable stamp and shipping instructions to arrange for the modification of your pistol contact Smith & Wesson directly at 1-800-331-0852.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS RECALL, PLEASE CONTACT SMITH & WESSON AT 1-800-331-0852 or email us at [email protected].

IIRC, pistols that were fixed by S&W were marked with a simple center punch mark on the grip tang just behind the hammer.

See less See more
Thanks BarenJ, I've got a punch mark on mine right behind the hammer but it really looks more like a scuff mark or small polished mark a little larger than a pencil lead. You think that is it?

The reports I heard indicate the punchmark is usually quite shallow and light, but to be sure, call S&W customer service with your serial # and they should be able to tell you if that gun has already been returned for repair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.