Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local store had an older (1940s) Winchester 94 in 30 WCF. It has a VERY pretty buttstock with feather figure from wrist to buttplate. It cleaned up nicely with only a few minor marks in the mag tube. The only thing wrong with it: It's not a Marlin. :roll:

Live well

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Yea, but if the price was right it is the perfect gun :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Nothing to be ashamed of. Just keep them separate from the Marlins, as they will fight... :lol: I bought a 356 Winchester last Fall and have had a good time working up loads for it, but have found that some of the things you take for granted, ie: trigger work, cleaning ease, smooth levering are not quite that simple on the Winchester. I wanted that caliber, but its been darned hard to get used to that gun. It reminds me (to look at) of my neat little 9422, but the 3 point levering system is absolutely crazy. The more recent manufactured Winchesters have that rebounding hammer and associated tough trigger, and I have found shooting well with it is pretty tough. Mine is in perfect condition, and I have shot it a bunch, but have decided its my last Winchester unless I find another 9422 or an older 94 for collection. I prefer my Marlins.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well big med, how does $162.18 sound? The manager of the shop is a doofus. He would crap to see the gun now since I have cleaned it up and rubbed a little oil on the wood. My gain. If I don't keep it, I should easily double my money at the next gun show.

Dr.A, I wholeheartedly agree. I have never opertaed a Winchester that was anywhere near as smooth as my 1895G. In fact, it is the smoothest Marlin I have felt. Must be all those PM-II targets. ;)

Live well

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
As long as they're older guns, they seem to get along well! :wink: It's them newer guns that don't seem to be able to stay in the same room!
Nice find Big Redhead!

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen: I wish a gun shop around here had a dofus salesman. Good deals are far between. Good job Big Redhead.
Now for my question-I have a custom laminated wood stock on a Winchester rifle of mine. It is oil stained and in places it looks like it is drying out. It looks good but dry. Anyone have a suggestion as to what kind of oil I should rub into this wood? Thanks, BestLever

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Bestlever,

The only oil I have used for wood finish specifically is linseed oil. Just put some on the wood and rub it with your hands. The more you rub and apply, the glossier and more "covering" the finish. Don't just brush on a layer and expect it to dry. It doesn't work like that on a stock that already has a finish.

My dad-in-law builds great furniture and cabinetry. His favorite finish is tung oil. He brushes it on dry, unfinished wood and it soaks in. He doesn't apply enough for a glossy finish though, like one might a gunstock.

Hey, I saw your Marlin leaning against that giant tree in the "favorite outdoor picture" thread. It was gratifying to see it wearing the scope mount I made for you. :D

Live well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts