Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It needs a butt!

I sometimes pays to ask questions. I was in a LGS today and asked if they had any 336s. I've been looking for something different than my plane Jane 336. They had just gotten a 336A in trade that morning. Problem is, some idjit had sawn the buttstock off. He had planed to restore it, but offered it to me for $250 to save him the trouble. It didn't take long for me to say yes.

The gun is about 80+ original blue. Ballard rifling looks good. Here are some pics as I got it. Not even wiped down yet. Questions:

* Looks like it needs a correct screw one the belly of the reciever. What is that screw called?

* Is this the original rear sight?

* it has some freck IMG_7966.JPG IMG_7967.JPG IMG_7968.JPG IMG_7976.JPG IMG_7973.JPG ling of rust on the tang. What is the best way to remove that but not the blue around it?

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
there was a butt stock on ebay...dont recall the price...some 0000 steel wool and a couple of drops of kroil on the rust spots...rub em out...thats a good buy and an easy fix...:congrats:

·
Premium Member
12,166 Posts
I am guessing the top is drilled with it having a hammer spur on it. Not sure what kind of spur they put on it. Looks like a good stock could make a nice rifle if the barrel is still good. The fore stock does not look as fat as a perch belly to me but that may just the way it looks in the picture.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Somebody was smoking some dope to do that modification to that rifle..........good buy at that price. [wink]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Golphin, It is drilled and tapped, but it looks like a factory job. There are screw plugs in the holes. The forestock is fat the bottom edge is parallel, so I dont think it is a perch belly. The spur is made by Williams. The rear sight is marked Marbles. Did Marlin use Marble sights, or did someone change that out later?

THanks

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
That's a great price that but stock is an easy fix.... Congrats on getting it!!!

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Trigger guard plate screw,( Midway has the screw ). Hole may just need a tap run through it, the marble sight is not the original sight but certainly will work.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
The forend is original. The screw you need is the trigger guard plate screw, not the trigger guard plate support screw. The latter is shorter and is used on the left side of the receiver. Hopefully the threads are ok because the tap needed for that is .210-28 TPI and is impossible to find. The receiver has been drilled and tapped after the fact, and the rear sight is not original. With all that said, it's worth $250 to me for a project gun.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
You got it at a great price! :congrats: A stock won't be hard to find.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks bassetman,

Good information. Sounds like with the non-factory tapped holes on the top, a true restoration in out of the question. I'll not search for period correct buttstock and just find a walnut one that looks nice and fits well. This will be my cast bullet shooter assuming it still shoots straight.

·
Registered
708 Posts
That ought to be a gun project. I've seen some nice shotguns with the stock cut down like that and it just aggravates me to no end why somebody would do that. My grandparents would have said that they needed horse whipping. I'd agree.

+1 on the Kroil and OOOO steel wool. It'll clean it up slick as a whistle.

·
Premium Member
12,166 Posts
Better order a spacer or go ahead and find something to cut one out of so you are ready when the stock comes in. Happy to hear you are saving that poor gun. It looked like someone cut the arms off of it with that butt stock butcher job. Nice looking stock by the way.

WHITE SPACER | Brownells

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Well with the buttstock you bought needing the final fitting and finish, you can refinish the forearm in the same manner so they are the same. Nice rifle by the way and I hope you post the pictures after you get that stock put on.

-Bob George

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found a stock for my 336A. This was a new unfinished stock off of Ebay. It was a very close fit, but took about an hour to reduce the proud wood top and bottom. The hardest part was drilling the tang hole so it intersected properly with the bottom hole. It took me two trys. I had a white spacer and bullseye on hand. I used one coat of Permalyn Stock Sealer and two coats of Truoil. Now to see if she will shoot. I may invest in a Lyman reciever sight for her if she shows promise. IMG_0733.JPG IMG_0726.JPG

1 - 20 of 25 Posts