Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a bunch of hours of work and many modifications I finally finished my 45-70 GG project today. Now to the range! Then a cold :beerglass: to celebrate!

It was necessary to refinish the rifle because the crusty old curved trigger guard plate (needed to add a pistol grip stock and very hard to find) was a mess as purchased. It required quite a bit of work to get it in a useable shape. Also, the dove tail for the rear sight was filled and blended into the barrel and the barrel was cut to 16" so a new crown was needed. The hammer was bobbed, new sights and a DRC loop lever added. Since this is a my personal gun, the silly safety button was disabled.

I blasted it with AL2O3 and used Cerakote over phosphate to refinish the rifle due to its durability and corrosion resistance. The wood was reshaped so it was thinner, more like you would find on older Marlins. The wood was then oil finished. The action was slicked up and the trigger cleaned up and set to 3#. Finally a hi-vis magazine follower was added. I also refinished the original straight trigger guard plate and lever the same way so that the original straight grip stock could still be used and look good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Sweet!

Reactions: Magnum6

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Hey ACA i like it, that is one fine looking Marlin. eh

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Pretty:congrats:
UncleSarge58

Reactions: jbaker30

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Nice clean lookin rifle ACA! Good job!:tee:

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
After a bunch of hours of work and many modifications I finally finished my 45-70 GG project today. Now to the range! Then a cold :beerglass: to celebrate!
Really pretty, well done!

Be sure to join us in the Moon Tree Team Marlin Group (see my signature below). Looking forward to meeting you and seeing that one in person. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All the kind words are very much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looks awesome, nice job on that finish! Sweet

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hey ACA,

Swell looking 1895!

Later, Mark

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.