Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new here Just bought my first marlin a 336 AW. Cant wait to get to the range this week end. I would like to get a scope for it any recommendations. Also talk to a guy that has a side mount for his scope. Never heard of that what do you think

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hey Swansea,

Welcome to MO.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
The AW is drilled and tapped on the top of the receiver for mounting a scope, you don't need a side mount. Congrats on your first Marlin! And welcome to Marlin Owners! DP

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Is it a swivel mount that can be swung over to the side and back over the receiver? DP

·
Administrator
30,577 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners and congrats on your new 336AW.

Regarding scope recommendations. It largely depends on your eyes and I suggest looking through some scopes before purchasing.

For my 1999 JM 30AS I went with a Bushnell Dusk & Dawn 1.5-4.5X32MM scope that is clear and bright offering great visibility in low light. It has just the right amount of magnification for the range too. I really like the small profile of this scope which allows maintaining the great handling of a 336. I use (63B) Weaver mount rail and 1 inch low rings to slam the scope to the barrel.

Below are a few pictures of the outcome.

Jack

Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

·
Registered
569 Posts
Congrats! Let us know how she shoots and post some pix when you can!

·
Banned
97 Posts
congrats, welcome

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome to the world of Levers. Congrats on the taking the plunge! I suspect like most, this won't be your last :biggrin:
Enjoy

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Welcome to MO

Our only rule is that you must post pictures.

Our second only rule is that you must post pictures.:flute:

DD

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Welcome. As to a side mount scope, they are mediorcre for a 94 Winchester and about worthless on a Marlin. Get a good lower power scope like Jack mentioned if you want a scope and a low mount. I have had a similar scope on my 35 and on a 30-30 to the tune of a few deer. Many of the iron sight/scope combos offer the worst of both worlds as they interfere with the range of view for the iron and make for poor mounting of the scope. A properly mounted scope snould be right there when mounted to the shoulder. If the scope does not work well it is either too high of power or improperly mounted for eye relief or the wrong scope.

DEP

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Im new here Just bought my first marlin a 336 AW. Cant wait to get to the range this week end. I would like to get a scope for it any recommendations. Also talk to a guy that has a side mount for his scope. Never heard of that what do you think
Welcome to the MO from SC. You in Swansea, SC by chance?

What caliber is your 336 AW?

Pics or it didn't happen. :biggrin:

Side mounts are for top ejecting Winnies. Marlins mount on the top friend. If you still want to see those iron sights then you use elevated see-through mounts/rings on a Marlin. They used to keep a steady supply of the Weaver version even at Wally World, for the 336.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
For a 336 I can recommend a smallish scope, one of the 1-4x20mm scopes or a 2-7x32 sized scope......go bigger than this and it takes over the rifle a little and you lose some of it's great characteristics.
I use the Weaver 63B base and low height Burris Zee rings, this brings the scope as low and close to the gun as possible so you can get decent cheek weld and it makes for a gun/scope combo that feels like one unit, instead of feeling like a rifle WITH A SCOPE ON TOP OF IT if you know what I mean.
Congrats!
I can strongly recommend the Weaver V classic series of scopes. (V3 1-3x20, V7 2.5-7x32) IMO its the best bang for your buck out there as far as scopes goes.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Sounds like you got you a nice rifle!!!a lot of folks on here use the 2-7 32mm!!!! I use 3-9 40mm on mine but I have fairly long shots where I'm at!!!!

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Congrats, and welcome to the world of Marlins. As far as a scope, if going with one keep it simple and go with a quality lower powered model; skip the side-mounts, see throughs, etc., in my opinion. Enjoy...

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome!!
I will post pictures this week end.
Thanks for the your suggestions on a scope think I will check out the 2-7 32mm and mount it low .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.