Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I agree.
I have great love for the AR15.But,I was never interested in a .308 AR10.I shot a few that my buddies own.Just don’t like the AR platform in that cal.I prefer a Springfield M1A.
I also have a Garand in 308 that was re-barreled by CMP

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
All this talk of banning them got me worried so I sold them at the last gun show.
:biggrin::biggrin: I was just kidding about buying a M&P 10.

FFL? What FFL? :smile: I'm actually afraid of guns. I'm a closet Liberal. :bandit:

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
Funny you brought that up. I favored M14 and shot and qualified expert with it. The first M1a I shot belonged to a buddy and he had just got a HK 91 too. I more or less turned up my nose at HK and was heckling him over the flutes the HK put in the brass. Then I took my turn on HK and shot it better than m1a. Buddy traded M1a in on another in Match model. With it I edged out the HK. For standard model I would still lean HK. The M1a is more finicky on what you feed it. Firing GI type ammo it does fine. The HK are anything you put in it. The manual that came with M1a is what put me on to my standard 308 load for BAs. They recomended the Speer 130gr HP as one of the accuracy loads for M1a. Buddy had one of the Military Sniper scopes that was a big deal at the time.
Sighted for dead 0 at 100yds it was a nail driver, literally. I cold drive the roofing nails we hung targets with every shot of bags. Since that's all I shoot in 308s. I had always shot 150gr but 130s shot so well I've stuck with them and stuck several into deer. My longest kill on a deer is 250yds with this 308 load. I know that doesn't sound that far but where I hunt seeing that far isn't common.
I did hunch a little and lean against a tree but not a bad shot for offhand.
My Springfield M1A likes 155g Sierra MK w/Varget powder.Hornady 155 gr ELD M shoot well W/Varget too.
Was thinking about rebarreling w/a Criterion or Krieger.But,I am getting sub moa groups,so I am holding off on that for now.W/a Sadlak Mount and. Nikon x100 4-16x50,I can group well @ 600 yrds.

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
I also have a Garand in 308 that was re-barreled by CMP
I was looking at those on their website a while back.They use Criterion barrels.Any Criterion barrel I’ve used on any platform does sub moa.So,I’d expect yours to be a tack driver!

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I was looking at those on their website a while back.They use Criterion barrels.Any Criterion barrel I’ve used on any platform does sub moa.So,I’d expect yours to be a tack driver!
It is! My Garand had a shot out barrel and CMP did a great job with the 308 barrel.

·
Registered
13,176 Posts
DRM, Brownells is also putting out a period correct AR including the old brown furniture. I do not remember what the price is though.
I never saw a M16 with brown furniture. I did see a lot of M14s that had replacement brown synthetic stocks. Also the early Colt AR-15 Sporters were olive green. But no brown m16 govt issue during my time in Army.

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That is a nice rifle and it sounds like you will have it ready for shooting. They are not my favorite but I will admit they are fun as hell to shoot and I think everyone should have a couple.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to picking it up. I ordered it from Midway and it was at the FFL in less than a week. I just have to wait until I'm back home on 20 Sept to pick it up. I'll post a range report after I get it set up and tuned in.

Reactions: lever30

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Congratulations nice buy!:adore:

Reactions: Marlinjunkie
21 - 33 of 33 Posts