Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just acquired a Marlin 1895 45/70 govt. rifle from a family member to put in the collection. I have a 30-30 marlin that I have always enjoyed but i know absolutely nothing about 45/70's. I have been doing alot of research on this gun and a few of the changes marlin made during the production with these guns, but I still have some questions on it. Looking at the rifling on my barrell it only has 8 grooves so I am assuming this is what everyone is calling the ballard type rifling. Is my assumption correct?, and is this the better type of rifling for hard cast bullets? I also read somewhere in my hours of research that a (ballard type) barrell on a pre safety gun is not very common, is this true? The first 5 of my serial number are "B0042." I am also curious about ammunition for this gun. Does this gun require a specific type of 45/70 round? "as in only using a lead cast bullet or is copper covered ok." Also does anyone use this gun for deer hunting? As I said I am new to this caliber of gun so I am very inexperienced with it and looking to learn all i can and i would like to say thank you i am very greatful for any help or insight you could provide.
Thanks, Matt

Here is a pic of the gun
20140327_202222.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Welcome to MO

Hey M,

Welcome to MO.

The "BO" indicates a 1972 DOM.:congrats: The year Marlin "re introduced" the 45/70!

There were a couple of rifling "options", that year.

Will perform very well with jacketed bullets, on game or targets:biggrin:

The 300 gr JHP @ 1800 fps, will "roll" venison type critters, like they are bunny rabbits.:flute:

My BO (purchased new, in '75) is a Micro Groove, and will shoot cast bullets very well, as long as I keep the velocity "down" to 1050 fps. (others have been able to "drive" cast bullets to 1500 fps +, in their Micro Groove rifles)

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Welcome to MO, just search 45/70 in Google. It will list many discussion about this rifle here on Marlin Owners.

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners, I had a BOXXXX Marlin made in 1st. year 1972 and it had the Ballard rifling and it loved cast bullets. eh

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. This sounds like its going to be a fun gun. I like to shoot what i have instead of having a bunch of safe queens. I hope to take it to the field with me this season and put something down with it. Have you all had better luck with any certain kinds of ammunition? I dont reload brass case myself only shotgun so i will have to buy after i shoot what i have up. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
M first recommendation is enjoy the heck out of it. second is... learn to reload! even if you only get a little handpress kit and a few other essentials you will save a butt load of cash! average price for factory ammo $2 reload average cost 25 cents. oh and welcome to the MO from the motor city. got yourself a case of marlinitis and bigbore fever all in one fell swoop!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Welcome to MO. Lead or jacketed are fine. It is a deer killing machine if you do your part. If you will be shooting factory loads I prefer the Remington 405's over the 325 grn leverevolution stuff. If you reload you can do just about anything with it.
Have fun.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
The 45/70 was designed for a 405 or 500 grain boolits, anything else below this range is a waste and a lesser caliber can do the same job.

If your going to run cast, buy a NOE Ranch Dog mold, they are designed for the 1895

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a 1974 (serial number 26084xxx) 1895. The barrel is not stamped "Microgroove". The rifling has 8 grooves. I've read so much conflicting information that I've given up wondering whether it's a Douglas barrel with Ballard rifling or a Marlin barrel with Microgroove. What say the experts here?

Whatever it is, I know it shoots oversized cast bullets with gas checks just fine.

·
Super Moderator
16,833 Posts
Welcome to the " Shoulder mounted heavy artillery" from Alabama... :)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
m.aussiker, welocme to the MO Family, from here in west central Mo. As to the statement ''looks like this is going to be a fun gun,'' You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet. When yu reload your own you can go from mild to wild and everthing in between. Mild target loads and deer/ hog loads, heavier loads for elk and heavy loads for the Big Bears. The 45-70 with heavy loads will stop anything on the NA continant, light loads you cna shoot all day long at the range. Take care, John.

Reactions: nedclampet

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
GH, you're so wrong! Reloading does not save youmoney, only lets you shoot more. ''That is my story and I'm stickin' to it,'' what's yours. Take care, John.:tee:

Reactions: nedclampet
1 - 13 of 13 Posts