Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a total dissapointment....
I was at my local sporting goods store looking over their selection of Marlin rifles, I was not very impressed with what I saw.

They had a new stainless 1895 in 45-70, half the screws were buggered up, the wood to metal finish was so poor it looked as if the stock did not belong to that rifle, I'm talking about 1/8" gaps.
The metal finish was dull, the rifle definatly was not even worth half the price they were asking for it.

Marlin model 60, wood stock, blue finish:
the wood had no wood grain, it looked very bland, I've seen 2x4's with better looking wood characteristics.
The fit was just as poor as the 1895, the stock thickness on both sides of the barrel, one side was twice as thick as the other... Sad, sad, sad....

Marlin 336, this was probably the best of the Marlins on the rack,
but it too, just like the model 60 had no appeal, the wood was bland, no signs of any wood grain, if I didn't know any better I would have passed the stock as a composite material.

Oh well, in the future I'll concentrate on browsing through their used gun selection, every once in a while when they get a nice used Marlin it doesn't last long on the rack.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Depends on the Rossi. My Navy Arms 1892 was built by Rossi and came NIB with some very nice American Walnut on it.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Hey guys, I saw a Rossi all Stainless .30-30 at Dicks today and I was awed by how perfect that gun was. They may have copied the Marlin action but they sure have done like the Japanese do - they made a good one better. That thing is so smooth and the wood did not look bad at all --- leapyears ahead of the junk Remiin is putting out. I already have 2 .30-30s but I may look at other calibers they have for a future buy.

GB45

·
Registered
162 Posts
Golfbuddy45 said:
Hey guys, I saw a Rossi all Stainless .30-30 at Dicks today and I was awed by how perfect that gun was. They may have copied the Marlin action but they sure have done like the Japanese do - they made a good one better. That thing is so smooth and the wood did not look bad at all --- leapyears ahead of the junk Remiin is putting out. I already have 2 .30-30s but I may look at other calibers they have for a future buy.

GB45
This reminds me of the Doors song....

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes...again

I agree most of the new Marlin stuff is junk. I've seen too many examples first hand.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Speaks well of the old Marlins doesn`t it! If you`ve got an "old-ie" you know what I mean... :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts