Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.
Got bit pretty hard by the 45-70 bug dangit!

Soo..... Been doing my research and know what I'm lookin for. I really like the 1895 SBL and XLR models.

In my area the std Remlins are avail in Blue and the specific SS models that I favor. I am on the lookout for a Remlin that is in buy-able condition and I'm patient enough.

But I am concerned with the pricing around here. The standard G guns in blue are marked at around 630-650. The stainless SBL that is in stock is 950.00.

I think the SBL should be more like 750 or so, but I have no comparison data other than GB and we all know what that is like. LOL.

So, anybody have any info on what a NIB SBL should sell for?

Hopefully I have all my acronyms right and this post makes some sense.

Cheers guys. Thanks for the info.

Oh yeah, and if I go used, when did the micro groove change to current rifling?

Pazz

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey Pazz,

Welcome to MO.

Yep, that 45/70 "itis" is a real "game changer". LOL (hang on to your wallet) LOL!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
pazzoduc, welcome to the MO Family, from here in west central Mo. Marlinitis is bad stuff, 45-70 Marlinitis is really bad stuff, no cure and only medicine is to buy more Marlins, especially in .45-70 caliber. Could be a lot worse, at least it is not fatal. Take care, John.

Reactions: msharley

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Where do you live? Those prices are outta sight!

The standard Model 1895 45-70 blued lists for 599.00. A guy I know recently bought one for $526.

If you are not in a hurry why not look for Estate Auctions in your area? There are a number of JM Stamped GENUINE Marlin's around, but I doubt there are many Stainless models. I very seldom see them.

If you are going to use it to HUNT, a stainless model is nice if you live in the Northeast and plan on staying out until you shoot whatever it is you are hunting, rain or not. If you live in dry areas, a blued variety is pretty common.

Personally I would not buy a Remlin. They bought out Marlin, had their employees train Remington people to make them and closed the Marlin plant. Next they fired the Marlin employees, picked up the equipment and moved it to their NY State plant. I would not give Remington the sweat off my private parts.

Mike T.

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
Welcome Aboard! Your GoingTo Love The "Shoulder Mounted Light Artillery".

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
You've chosen a fantastic caliber. I have a somewhat modified Relim 1895 that I love. I also have a Sharps Quigley in 45-70 in case I ever cross paths with a big Buff... Great to reload and even better to shoot! You'll not regret this decision--but as Mark said--hold on to your wallet.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Welcome to the 45-70 it is a fun round for sure. The stainless guns are much harder to find after the Remlin change. Sadly the XLR's are gone and the SBL has always been priced high.
The SBL does have the XS sights Lever Rail on it that adds about 130 to the price. If I were looking for a new model I would go to Davidsons web page and do a search for their dealers in the area and see what they have at the warehouse. Same goes for Bud's Guns who will ship to your local FFL. Gun shows can sometimes have a deal but lately everything is priced high.

Good luck,
Ken

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Idk too much about availability of the other models but good luck on finding an sbl. I felt lucky to get mine for just shy of $800. Bought it the same day the old owner traded it in. Perfect timing. Haha. They are addictive to shoot for sure though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome All I have to say is there is nothing better than shooting a shoulder carry sledge hammer shooting Rifle and about The Marlinitis These guys are not kidding I didn,t think I had it ----But----I have it so bad I might end up in a divorce before It,s all over (if thats possible)
DOGG!!!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
45-70 is a great round. If you don't reload you might want to think about it because the factory ammo can get pricey. One of the great things about this round is it can be loaded with mild plinkers suitable for a child all the way up to shoulder punishing, "What was I thinking?" loads that will make a grown man ache.
Congratulations and have fun with your purchase.
GH1

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
MicroGroove rifling is a non-issue in 45-70.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Welcome to the forums from Georgia! As stated, don't worry whether a rifle has Ballard or Microgroove rifling, they all shoot good. My 1980 made 1895 is microgroove and shoots cast bullet just as good as jacketed.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
There is a certain serenity that comes with know you can kill anything on the planet that walks, two or four legged varmints

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Welcome to the Marlin forum, be patient and when you least expect it that desirable Marlin will pop up out of the blue. eh

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What $$ premium do the stainless guns bring? I am very intrigued by them. Not so much for weather resistance, but for looks and my stainless barrel black gun shoots REALLY well.
Davidson's Genie shows the SBL to MSRP at $1070. SO I guess the local price of 960 ain't so bad after all. Now I just have to find one, used in exc cond or new in better cond than new... LOL.
I'm patient as a mule. So no worries there.

I'd like to get an SBL, take the pic rail off, put on some stainless rings and a good low power scope for my bad eyesight, change the stock set to higher grade walnut and call it a beautiful day.

there is nothing better than shooting a shoulder carry sledge hammer
Exactly, I have a load of other rifles in other calibers (max .308 ). So I just got itchy for a big thumper and I find the light weight and easy carry of a lever gun to be a good platform.

We don't hunt anymore :bike: So just for fun shooting and a hand me down piece. My old man handed down some good stuff. I'm assembling to do the same. "trust" me.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If you want to take off the Lever Rail and change to Walnut you do not need a SBL. Marlin made a large lever 1895 with Walnut stocks and no rail.

I do not recall the letters for it but that one should be at least 100 less than an SBL and no cost to change to walnut. I'm sure another member will have the model here for you shortly!:biggrin:

Ken

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Was it made in stainless?

Forgot to mention I think I found a 22" Blue JM gun locally and have just not made it over for a gander. They are asking 499.00.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts