Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever have a round jump the crimp? I had a close encounter with an Alaskan Brown a few years ago, I was packing a Ruger 454 with Corbon 395 hard cast when it happened. I wasn't sure if it was bluff or a real charge but I put a round between his ears just over his head and he buggered off which is good because the next round jumped the crimp and jammed the cylinder but good and I didn't have a follow up shot. I sent the round to Corbon and they kindly sent me a couple of boxes of ammo but it didn't renew my faith in that product.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
That is scary!!!!!!!! I don't shoot the 454 but carry a 44Mag. for black bear protection. I hand load all of mine with a full charge of powder under a hard cast (Lyman #2 alloy) bullet with a heavy crimp. I have never had a bullet jump crimp in 46 years of shooting this load.
I would have had Corbon send me a new set of underwear in addition to the ammo! The new underwear is the only thing in the package that I would use the next time I went into bear country. I would try another brand of ammo. If you are set on using the Corbon, I would suggest shooting 1/2 of each box of ammo that they sent you to assure yourself that this lot won't jump crimp.
Lots of luck on your next trip.
Jack

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Bear encounters!

I'm glad I don't live where you do.....

If I did, I would do the 12 ga. pump with Brenneke slugs, and not rely on a handgun...., but that's just me......

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I have shot a lot of pretty heavy loads in a 44 mag but have never had a bullet jump crimp but i load my own so that's not a fair comparison to the ammo you used just my experiences

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bad time to jump, though the physics are interesting. The recoil moves the revolver back and the round pretty much just stays where it was. I can see why an improperly crimped round would do that, especially a heavy one. I had a friend some years back shooting a Browning Hi-Power 9mm with Winchester Silvertip ammo when the round he fired somehow ignited the powder in the round below it and it blew up in his hand. He was standing right next to me when it happened. An ex-Chief of police and not unfamiliar with guns, we were both shocked. Luckily he was not badly injured.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When your revolver no longer revolves its not good, especially in that situation. That's a definite plus for the free wheeling cylinder on my BFR as opposed to my FA. I have never had one jump the crimp since using the Lee Factory Crimp Die. The only exception to this was when I tested it years ago by leaving one round in the cylinder and firing the remaining 4 rounds to see how it would hold up. This was a 335 gr Cast Performance bullet over W296. If I remember right that bullet moved forward slightly after about 20 rounds. At that point I stopped. Once the bullet moved I'm sure it would not have taken many more rounds to have it fully jump the crimp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.