Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my BIL and I took a 15 mile drive to our WMA of choice (where we've hunted the last three years) to see what the roads looked like. We got a bunch of rain, around 15 inches a week ago or so and this 23,000 acres is low, wet land anyway. We were able to travers the roads (twenty some miles worth) although some of it was under water up to a foot deep.:hmmmm: One of these days I'm gunna have to get a 4-wheel drive....

We saw a hand full of deer and a lot of area's were torn up from hogs - looks like a good season coming up! We also noted that several thousand acres had underwent a controlled burn recently. In fact as we were driving out of the park some rangers were just starting a new burn in another remote area.

Have any of you been out scouting already? This trip is the first of the year with more to follow but today we would have needed hip waders. Hopefully next time out we can actually get back in the brush a few miles on foot to see what the game density looks like.

Dang this trip got me dreaming again. Can't wait for opening weekend....

1895gunner

·
Registered
255 Posts
which wma was it? I'm waiting for my quota draw results still :flute:

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howdy papa bear it was Herky Huffman, previously known as Bull Creek. Bout 1/2 way between St Cloud and Melbourne. Yepper, we're waiting to see if we get selected for opening weekend but I don't suspect that will be any trouble. They haven't maxed out on opening weekend since we started hunting there.

Which WMA did you select?

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
Don't you have snakes and other nasty stuff in those swamps? :hmmmm:

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Howdy Hal,

We sure do. Snake boots are a must and you better keep your eyes open for snakes in the low tree branches and gators on the ground around water holes. That being said while I'm walking out from hunting at lunch time I spend more time watching for those things than looking around for deer or hogs. I wish they would freeze out during hunting season. Even when we were down to 30 degrees in the mornings by lunch time the snakes are out on the trails warming themselves.

1895gunner

·
Registered
351 Posts
Scott,

Know what your saying, getting the itch real bad, archery comes in in mid September here. Only problem is the size of the mosquitoes and numbers of mosquitoes. have to go in with several thremocell's hanging around your neck if you want to come out alive with most of your blood stil in tact.

Reactions: 1895Gunner

·
Premium Member
8,310 Posts
Howdy Hal,

We sure do. Snake boots are a must and you better keep your eyes open for snakes in the low tree branches and gators on the ground around water holes. That being said while I'm walking out from hunting at lunch time I spend more time watching for those things than looking around for deer or hogs. I wish they would freeze out during hunting season. Even when we were down to 30 degrees in the mornings by lunch time the snakes are out on the trails warming themselves.

1895gunner
What about those snakes that like to give ya hug when they see ya?

I haven't been in scouting mode yet, but the few places in the woods that I've been into are ripe with trails and deer sign. I probably won't start scouting until late Sept. That'll give me a month before gun season starts to see where they're actually moving.

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about those snakes that like to give ya hug when they see ya?

I haven't been in scouting mode yet, but the few places in the woods that I've been into are ripe with trails and deer sign. I probably won't start scouting until late Sept. That'll give me a month before gun season starts to see where they're actually moving.
I haven't seen any of the pythons but I hear they are becoming more predominant. People and their exotic pets.:shot:

1895gunner

·
Registered
386 Posts
This reminds me of part of my youth. I spent a few years around the Bristol, Blountsville, areas and visited some of the forests near Tallahassee outskirts. Not positive as to the exactness thereabouts. (too young to drive so I really didnt pay much attention to the roads)Some beautiful, yet wet and flat lowland areas out there, at least where I was. Always hated it after a strong rain came thru. Mosquitos gave us the fits. Still some great hunting back in the day....

·
Registered
351 Posts
Raging Bull

I live in Tallahasse and hunt Wakulla. Went today to charge feeders and set trail cams... skeeters were horrible.... lots of bug spray and had the thermocell hanging off belt loop. Waiting for mid-September for archery season.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like maybe another scouting trip on Aug 4th with my hunting buddies. This one will likely be a driving scouting trip but they are fun too.

Anybody else looking around, getting ready, working up loads and checking equipment yet?

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Don't know how I missed this thread. Yep looking forward to August 4th.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got a permit for Dinner Island Ranch, it's south of Lake O near Immokolee. I haven't scouted yet, but will in the next few weeks...need to sight in the 336 pretty soon too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts