Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any of you who remember back a in the early spring I began a journey with my Marlin 1895SBL and promised that I would provide updates from time to time as there was new information or photographs that you might find interesting. As you look at what I did you might think my scope choice is insane and I should have selected a Vernier peep or if my choice of barrel length destroys your faith in mankind and I welcome you to share your thoughts for the benefit of others who might decide to do some customization in the future. I put 150 hand loaded rounds of various weights, types, construction and powders through the basic model in my initial “off the shelf” configuration before selecting the customization.

The 1895SBL has been modified and is now complete and nearing its final configuration. The basics are: Marlin 1895SBL custom 45-70 Gov’t., 6-shot, tubular magazine, Lever action with big- loop finger lever; side ejection; stainless steel receiver, barrel, lever, trigger guard plate, magazine tube and loading gate; Wild West Trigger measured to 3.7 lbs, hammer block safety, Black/grey laminated hardwood pistol-grip stock with fluted comb; cut checkering; deluxe recoil pad; nickel- plated swivel studs, McGowan 24" stainless steel barrel with microgroove rifling, 1:18” twist rate, Leupold-Ultraslam 3x9 40MM Scope, Game Reaper Marlin 1895 Medium Mount, OAL 42.5” long, 13 3/8” length of pull, 9.5 lbs. approximate weight with optics.

Apologize for the blurry pictures but you can get the general idea. The first three are the new gun and scope the last is the basic 1895SBL with the initial Nikon Scope and view through rail mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
How does it shoot with the new tube? Nice looking rifle.

Reactions: jbridgely

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just picked it up from the gunsmith this morning, mounted the scope and bore sighted so I should be on paper. Range trip, weather allowed scheduled for next week (Busy at baseball tournaments this weekend) and I will let you all know how it shoots with a full report about both the guns and the loads.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, you went the other way. Most guys want em chopped & your's is stretched. Looks good.
Yea, with the trapper handles the short end of the 1895 and the CB handles the long end. I wanted to build something in the middle that wasn't available in a store...Can't wait for the range!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.