Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a while back that having purchased my Marlington 1895SBL I was beginning a journey. The people here have been amazing in helping provide input and insight into their experiences, their successes and their failures. Because of the REALLY long lead on some of the modifications I have been spending most of my time experimenting with a variety of hand loads from 50-200 yards and have begun to gravitate toward the ones that suit me the best for hunting everything from Sika Deer 250 gr. Barnes TSX to Whitetail, 300 gr Barnes TSX, 325 Hornady FTX and 350 Hornady FN and RN and larger game Elk, Moose, Bear 405 gr. cast coated at distances up to 200yds. So far I have found a few things I did not expect but have been real nice surprises. For known distances (using a $100 range finder) and known bullet weight and velocity from chrono at the range my Nikon BDC scope meant for a .223 semi auto along with Nikon's "Spot on" app has been a good choice. I can have 3X with a large field of move up to 9X for 200 yard shots and in seconds it gives me the holdover and tells me which bubble to put on the target. I know a lot of people say a 45-70 is a 100 yard gun but hitting at 200 yards with plenty of power left is flat out fun! New barrel is due in the next few day but it will take weeks for the final fab and fit up. keep you posted.

First long lead item was my Sling and Butt Stock sleeve. Tossed it on quickly so have to tighten everything but you can get an idea of the look

Attachments

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Great job! Looks almost identical to my SBL. I have the same sling and butt cover and love em. I just have a Nikon 3-9X40 on mine for my tired old eyes. I use the 3pwr for hunting and the 9 for bench rest shooting. The load I developed is super accurate and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot 200yds. Congrats! Very nicely done.

Reactions: jbridgely

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phase II

My barrel came in a little earlier than planned. Meeting with the gunsmith next week to discuss. The appearance is expected to be an overgrown guide gun with the 6 shot magazine and a ~approx 24" finished barrel (Currently about 26" OAL). The barrel is bored to .45 caliber and has an 18-1 twist but still needs threads, 45-70 chambering and crowning so the length may go down slightly.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.