Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am not sure if putting this on the credit card was a good idea or not. I had been wanting a 450 Marlin and sort of gave up the search after having a well issue at my house. Over $3500 in that project:(. Anyway so there I was stopping at my favorite gas station/gun shop for fuel and a soda and here this was. Immediately I could tell it was a sweet looking rifle. I assumed it was a 45-70 and asked to see it. That's when I noticed it was a 444. I never really considered a 444. I looked it over real good and couldn't find a flaw...other than those sweet scope rings, which I knew would be easily fixed. Anyway I handed it back to the shop owner and headed back to work. I couldn't get it out of my head all weekend and decided if it was still there Monday morning it would be mine. Knowing I shouldn't buy it due to finances being tight, I half wanted it to be gone. Well as the pic tells it was still there. It came setup just like you see it except it also had a leather sling I took off for the pic. Serial number starts with 00. The model on the barrel says simply 444. Price tag was $485.99+tax and I probably should have haggled but I didn't. Got 2 boxes of shells with it that the shop took off $5 bucks per box. Well anyway despite having to keep my belt a little tighter over the next month, I am pretty happy this rifle now resides with me. I am also excited to get to know the 444 Marlin caliber.
I wanted to add that the scope is a Bushnell 3-9 but I don't know what model. Seems clear enough for me.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Welcome aboard! Nice looking lumber on that rifle. What year is it?

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
That rifle is begging to be shot with cast bullets Yep can almost hear it begging from here.

Cooler here today, so had a casting session and one of the two molds was for a 275gr bullet for the triple 4.

Boy oh boy do I need a rifle to test these bullets with.

My son has the rifle and is head over heals deep in work any place from Up State NY to Ohio, Iowa, Texas and possibly points in between.

Come on Jeff, lite somewhere so you can do some bullet testing!

GREAT looking rifle and I agree with finding a new home for those scope mounts.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Congrats! You will like it!

Reactions: mattusmc

·
Registered
424 Posts
Gorgeous rifle, and you got it for a steal!
Now it's time to take it out and see how it shoots.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
That's $140 cheaper than the Ballard barrel 444 that I just bought, plus the wood on yours is beautiful and the wood on mine is totally mismatched from the factory and born ugly. My new to me 444 doesn't have those fancy schmancy scope rings either.
You scored!

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
congrats

good lookin' rifle

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Congrats on your find Matt! A NICE 444, scoped for under 5 bills is a very good price. Now, when you take her out to the range, you'll wonder why you ever wasted your time looking for a different big bore than the 444. Enjoy! DP

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Congrats on a great rifle! My 444 is my most favorite rifle that I own. The scope you have on yours right now is a Bushnell Trophy. Enjoy shooting it, it is definitely going to bring a smile to your face! :D

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats on a great rifle! My 444 is my most favorite rifle that I own. The scope you have on yours right now is a Bushnell Trophy. Enjoy shooting it, it is definitely going to bring a smile to your face! :D

I'm going to change out those see through mounts but I think I'll use that scope. Are they decent scopes??

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
If the scope works, you can at least use it during the early times. Personally, it would be on my list of modifications along with the scope rings!

Do you hand load??????????

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
That is a beauty congrats on getting it!!!!

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Congrats, very nice looking rifle and welcome to the 444 club. It's kind of funny, I didn't start out looking for a 444 either. I originally figured I'd go with the traditional 45-70 and started poking around for a nice older one, but having some difficulty finding what I wanted. Then I found a really nice stainless 450 marlin I hadn't originally considered, and decided to sleep on it not sure what to do having never seen or fired one before. Well, the next day I decided to dive-in and went to buy it... only to find it was sold out from under me already. Bummed out for missing that, I went back to my searching for a 45-70 and stumbled onto a 444 "P" model in perfect shape and jumped on it before it got away, ha! I figure it all worked out for the best after all, and happy with my 444... :biggrin:
Enjoy...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts