Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this nice little CZ 527 American today, new. Got dies, brass, scope, rings etc... on the way and the few bullets I could find in stock to try. Hoping this thing likes lil'gun because I've got a pile of it. Man... I really gotta start selling some guns. The ol might be a little mad.

Who here is partial to the 22 Hornet? Favorite loads?

Sky Wood Building Brick Brickwork
Sky Wood Brick Automotive exterior Brickwork

Sky Building Wood Fence Brick

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Have had the good fortune to reload for about 6 modern made 22 Hornets, most owned by buds. Mention was made of 13 grs of Lil Gun, that works, and fills the case to the top. I found a good load with Lil Gun at 12.6 grains, small pistol primers and a 45 gr bullet. This is reported accurate in all these guns, to include several CZs. My TC encore groups them in at .5 inches at 100 yards on a windless day. It is flying, seem to remember the chrono had them at 2900 fps. This load is not your grand pa's 22 Hornet. It has more power at 100 yds, than a hot loaded 357 magnum has at the muzzle ! My buds all used the pointed Hornady 45 gr bullet, I have a preference for the more traditional Sierra 45 gr pill. Under a game control scenario that originally was limited to 22 mag, these loads proved very effective against deer. At that velocity it is also a good fox, coyote load out thru 200 yards, and if in a survival scenario should work on deer at that distance, I know it is deadly at 100 yds.

Found that shooting mixed cases for accuracy is not a good idea. Rim thickness varies by brand, and this effects consistent alignment in the chamber, which effects accuracy. Better to segregate cases by brand. My rifle is zeroed and hunted with one brand. The difference is about .25 inches at 100 yds using mixed cases, that difference may or maynot matter to you.

Win 296 and H110 are also good powders, but do not offer the top velocity of Lil Gun.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I had a Ruger number 3 for many years. I loaded it with Winchester 680, now long discontinued (still have 3/4 a bottle). I liked it because I could load it to 22 rimfire performance and a bit more. When someone offered me a lot of money for it, I sent it down the road. I have wanted to buy a bolt action version but have not got around to it yet.

·
Premium Member
9,991 Posts
the load with the LIL gun, is right on. the only thing i do different is use a rem. 6 1/2 primer that was made for this caliber. but people have great sucess with small pistol primers as well. in today's world you have to also use what you have, that is a nice rifle,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Super Moderator
13,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Travis -
Gotta love the CZ 527! If I had the opportunity, I would buy that rifle in a heartbeat. I don't own a Hornet, but do have the 527 in 7.62x39 and it is very accurate.
Looking forward to a range report!

WYT-P
Skyhunter
Thanks! I hope to have a range report up sometime before February, but I've got a lot of bullet casting and paper patching to do for the 2022 BPCR Silhouette season, so we'll see. Might take a bit.

·
Registered
186 Posts
12.5 grains of 1680 or Little Gun with the 35 grain Vmax and a small pistol primer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Beautiful rifle! That’s a caliber that’s been on my radar but I haven’t been able to convince myself to purchase one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beautiful rifle! That’s a caliber that’s been on my radar but I haven’t been able to convince myself to purchase one yet.

It only took about a life time of hearing it before I bought one, and I'm still not convinced the 218 Bee and 219 Zipper aren't just a little bit better. We shall see.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It only took about a life time of hearing it before I bought one, and I'm still not convinced the 218 Bee and 219 Zipper aren't just a little bit better. We shall see.

The Bee is another one I’ve been looking at, more so than the hornet actually. I’m hunting for an 1894CL in 218 bee to match my 1894CL 32-20. I think the bee is marginally faster than the hornet from everything I’ve read in the reloading manuals and the internet(I may be wrong). But paper numbers and real world application are two different things as I’m sure you know. I don’t have experience with either just quoting what I’ve read.

A zipper would be another sweet one. I haven’t done any research on it thought. Mainly because the firearms chambered for it are over my budget lol.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You will love your CZ Hornet! Be warned that 22 Hornets are addictive, two CZ 527s, an 1885 Browning
a Ruger #1A, T/C Contenders and an Encore live here... Love them! I use Nosler brass, Rem 6 1/2 primers,
Nosler Varmageddon 40 gr bullets and Lil Gun powder. I have a Ruger !S in 218 Bee, not better just
different and fun as well. I am looking forward to your experience with your fine rifle!
Bill

·
Super Moderator
13,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All the pieces of the puzzle are here, time to get started. Going to fire-form this new PPU brass with some 20 year old Speer 40gr. SP's and then try and work up a load with these 40gr vmaxes I have. The CZ magazine doesn't give a lot of room in regards to seating depth.

·
Registered
373 Posts
All the pieces of the puzzle are here, time to get started. Going to fire-form this new PPU brass with some 20 year old Speer 40gr. SP's and then try and work up a load with these 40gr vmaxes I have. The CZ magazine doesn't give a lot of room in regards to seating depth.
I gave up trying to use ballistic tip projectiles in the CZ 527 magazine.
I bought a James Calhoon single shot adapter and it works. It lifts the
round to properly connect for a smooth feed into the chamber. This
avoids any problems with the extractor. I use one of his SS adapters
in my 527 223 Lux, works very well. I have used PPU brass in Hornet
and 7.62X39, good stuff!
Bill

·
Registered
884 Posts
You're on the right path. Lil Gun and 40 grain bullets are great in the Hornet. My Ruger No 1 B likes 13.0 gr Lil Gun, Winchester cases, a 40 gr Nosler BT, and CCI BR-4 primers. I get right at 3000 fps and one MOA 10 shot groups at 100 yards. Lots of fun shooting tiny chips of clay pigons on the berm and seeing them disappear as the recoil doesn't really move the gun.

·
Super Moderator
13,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I gave up trying to use ballistic tip projectiles in the CZ 527 magazine.
I bought a James Calhoon single shot adapter and it works. It lifts the
round to properly connect for a smooth feed into the chamber. This
avoids any problems with the extractor. I use one of his SS adapters
in my 527 223 Lux, works very well. I have used PPU brass in Hornet
and 7.62X39, good stuff!
Bill
Taking that block out and milling about .050 off the front of it has crossed my mind.
You're on the right path. Lil Gun and 40 grain bullets are great in the Hornet. My Ruger No 1 B likes 13.0 gr Lil Gun, Winchester cases, a 40 gr Nosler BT, and CCI BR-4 primers. I get right at 3000 fps and one MOA 10 shot groups at 100 yards. Lots of fun shooting tiny chips of clay pigons on the berm and seeing them disappear as the recoil doesn't really move the gun.
Sounds like a nice rifle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts