Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've located a 1895 XLR. It has the "JM" Stamp on the barrell but the SN begins with 91. I thought that the JM stamp would occur only on rifles prior to 2007. Is this a case where the barrell was made before 2007 but the gun was assembled in 2009 ? Can someone shed some light on this for me? thanks

·
Banned
97 Posts
Marlin was purchased by the Cerebrus Group and became integrated into the Remington Arms Company manufacturing facilities in late 2009. The latest Marlin proofed barrels with JM stamp were made during 2009, but Remington was allowed to use up inventory during their production in the Ilion NY plant, after which they switched to the REM proof mark The serialization for 2009 and 2010 production begins with 91.

I am assuming it doesn't have a bullseye either.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not 'schooled' well enough on Marlins to know what you mean by 'bullseye' but if you are referring to the cross-bolt safety, it does have. Thanks for the info. I'm not as interested in the gun now. Not as confident of the quality as I would be if made earlier. In your opinion, am I being paranoid or are my concerns well founded? Thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts

·
Banned
97 Posts
The bullseye is the Marlin trademark in the buttstock. The small white plastic insert with black center.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mwsjb/pictures/mountie7.jpg

Dido, some say it was put there as a tribute to the rifle picked by Annie Oakley, others say it is so you could spot a Marlin on the racks. According to their customer service, it was first introduced in 1922. Either way, whatever you do, if you get one , it is not a place for a swivel mount, please do not put one there.

Reactions: Model700

·
Registered
953 Posts
If it has a "JM" it is a true Marlin. Remington did use old Marlin stock but the proofmarks are put on the barrels after the guns have been test fired buy the factory.

Key

·
Banned
97 Posts
Not 'schooled' well enough on Marlins to know what you mean by 'bullseye' but if you are referring to the cross-bolt safety, it does have. Thanks for the info. I'm not as interested in the gun now. Not as confident of the quality as I would be if made earlier. In your opinion, am I being paranoid or are my concerns well founded? Thanks

I think it is a matter of personal opinion. I only like the older Marlins. I will not buy new ones. Some say the quality has been getting better on them, but I just love the way an old one feels. I love thinking about the history of them, wondering where each little scratch or dent came from. Plus, I mean I have a 1962 336 that is more solid than any new rifle I own, besides my other Marlins. They just don't make them to last like they did back then.

So, all that being said, I can't give you advice on the quality of the newer ones, because I have never owned one. I do know a lot of people who are very happy with their new .45-70 guide guns though.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have a newer .45-70 Guide gun and the gun seems pretty solid as I recall the serail number is a 2013 model. It is a guide gun and as for the "bullseye" I have never noticed one give i own a 1970's eera modela 781 it just has the cowboy holding a lever gun on a horse silotthette on a horse.

·
Registered
11,566 Posts
dg, If the barrel is proof marked "JM" & the serial # begins with 91, it is one of the last "Marlins" made in the North Haven Conn. plant. After Remington moved to Ilion NY, the proof mark stamped on the barrel will be "REP" & the serial # will start with MR. & the "Bullseye" located in the stock, is a Marlin Trademark. I own 2 Marlins, both JM & 91 & both are excellent in fit, function, & good shooters!! Hope this helps.

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Marlin was purchased by the Cerebrus Group and became integrated into the Remington Arms Company manufacturing facilities in late 2009. The latest Marlin proofed barrels with JM stamp were made during 2009, but Remington was allowed to use up inventory during their production in the Ilion NY plant, after which they switched to the REM proof mark The serialization for 2009 and 2010 production begins with 91.

I am assuming it doesn't have a bullseye either.

Hope that helps

Mine is a 2009 model. It's barrel is stamped New Haven but the proof is REP and the fit and finish is good so it's most likely made from left over parts and was then proofed by Remington. :flute:

·
Registered
901 Posts
I've located a 1895 XLR. It has the "JM" Stamp on the barrell but the SN begins with 91. I thought that the JM stamp would occur only on rifles prior to 2007. Is this a case where the barrell was made before 2007 but the gun was assembled in 2009 ? Can someone shed some light on this for me? thanks
CERBERUS/FREEDOM GROUP/REMINGTON bought us (North Haven Marlin) in January 2008.

The FINAL RIFLES Assembled & "JM" Proofstamped would have been in August 2010.

That's when we "Bagged & Tagged" ALL of the Assembly Department, and placed ALL the Assembly Equipment on Trucks to go to Remington.
ANYTHING ASSEMBLED AFTER THIS DATE WILL HAVE AN "REP" PROOFMARK ON THE BARREL.
The Barrel is ONLY PROOFMARKED after the Rifle has been TOTALLY ASSEMBLED, TEST FIRED WITH A PROOF LOAD, AND PASSED VISUAL INSPECTION.

We STOPPED making Barrels & Receivers in December 2010. So, you will still have a North Haven Marlin Rollstamp on the Barrel, and Remington was allowed to continue Rollstamping North Haven Marlin until about early 2012. Then they started Rollstamping Ilion,NY (Lever Action) & Mayfield,KY (Bolt Action).
ANY RECEIVERS MADE AFTER DECEMBER 2010 WILL HAVE AN "MRXXXXXXXXX" SERIAL NUMBER STAMPED.
DECEMBER 2010 AND EARLIER RECEIVERS WILL HAVE THE SERIAL NUMBERS ONLY, NO "MR" STAMP.

It is possible to have an "REP" Proofmarked Barrel Rollstamped North Haven Marlin with a Receiver that has a NON "MR" Serial Number.
Ilion,NY Remington would have exhausted their stock of North Haven Marlin made Receivers by the Summer of 2011.
From that point on I'm confident that ALL "REP" Proofmarked Barrels will have a Receiver with an "MRXXXXXXXXX" Serial Number.
Without knowing Ilion,NY's Production Numbers during that period, I'm making an educated guess as to when their North Haven Marlin Made Receivers ran out.

·
Registered
11,566 Posts
:congrats:Thanks Kon!!:beer:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I like the new Marlins over the sloppy older ones the new CNC machining is better tolerances in microns instead of thousands. My new guide gun shoots the lights out of my older Marlins. Some of those 1970-80 discount house Marlins are pretty cheaply made. Marlin was all ways a entry level rifle. But now I think there first class!! My new 1895g is very accurate and glass smooth.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

No need to insult the Marlin made rifles...:flute: If you think that the Remlins are better than the real Marlins..............do you think the Remlins are better because you bought one?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I like all real Marlins and have 3 older ones 39a,336,1895 micro-groove and yes no need to bad mouth old or new model's. No gun's are cheap any more in price. I did have a a 45 Colt Cowboy a few decades ago I had to get rid of it was a jam master. I like my Colts and SW's ,remington's ,winchester's too even though they changed hands to and some many times. I don't think there are any gun company's owned by the founders today. http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/bigbore/1895G.asp

Attachments

·
Banned
97 Posts
I like the new Marlins over the sloppy older ones the new CNC machining is better tolerances in microns instead of thousands. My new guide gun shoots the lights out of my older Marlins. Some of those 1970-80 discount house Marlins are pretty cheaply made. Marlin was all ways a entry level rifle. But now I think there first class!! My new 1895g is very accurate and glass smooth.

WHat??!!! I guarantee I can get that shot group or better with either my '62 336 .35 or my '67 336 30-30, old Marlin's are awesome. I hear the new ones are improving, but don't discard the past, like the POTUS

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a newer Marlin 1895G 45-70 Govt a couple of weekends ago at a gun show, so this thread peaked my interest. The barrel stamp and serial number indicate it is a New Haven rifle. However the proof stamp looks to be obliterated by a bunch of small pin Any Ideas why this would have been done.

IMG_0653.JPG

·
Registered
953 Posts
I purchased a newer Marlin 1895G 45-70 Govt a couple of weekends ago at a gun show, so this thread peaked my interest. The barrel stamp and serial number indicate it is a New Haven rifle. However the proof stamp looks to be obliterated by a bunch of small pin Any Ideas why this would have been done.

View attachment 101318
My Guide Gun is like that too. You can't even tell it's a JM, but it is. It is a 2009 model with the proof mark on the left side. Remington's proof mark is on the right side and they are very clear.

Key

·
Registered
901 Posts

View attachment 101318
foxc57 & keyston44,
My guess is you guys both had JM Proofmarked North Haven Made Rifles that went to Remington to have something significant done to them which needed them to be "Proofed" again. They felt the need to disfigure the JM Proofmark, then apply the "REP" Proofmark after it passed the Proof Load Test, and Visual Inspection.

I know this is a huuuuuuuuuge stretch, but it's like an "artist signing his work".
Yes, you detect a slight bit of sarcasm in the line above. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts