Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know about JM and REP proof marks. But........

My NIB (bought in July) 1895GS 44-70 has nothing on the left side of barrel where the JM would normally be.

On the right side it has REP (in sort of an oval) with a J to the right that looks like it was engraved (not struck or rolled).

Serial number is 918149XX.

It is obviously a FrankenRemlin, but just wondering if anyone else has one with this "J" engraved just to the right of the REP in the oval and what it might mean?

Pic attached.

·
Registered
321 Posts
AEA said:
OK, I know about JM and REP proof marks. But........

My NIB (bought in July) 1895GS 44-70 has nothing on the left side of barrel where the JM would normally be.

On the right side it has REP (in sort of an oval) with a J to the right that looks like it was engraved (not struck or rolled).

Serial number is 918149XX.

It is obviously a FrankenRemlin, but just wondering if anyone else has one with this "J" engraved just to the right of the REP in the oval and what it might mean?

Pic attached.
Mine is the same, but has REP with a "j"...Lou

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
My 1895SBL has (REP) F on the right side of the barrel and the Serial # begins with MR

·
Super Moderator
15,821 Posts
Months? A-Jan, B-Feb, C-march, D-April, E-May, F-June, G-July, H-August, I-September, J-October, K-November, L-December, Seems to me Remington had letteres figured in their serial numbers, stands to reason they're just going to carry over part of the way they do things with Remington. Just my thought on it. Mr fixit

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're not talking about letters in the serial numbers. We're talking about a letter "J" just to the right of the oval'ed REP proof mark.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup. :) ;)
Maybe someone will come along who is working there and clue us in. ???

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Maybe the initial of the assembler ? Dunno--just a WAG.

Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
My new GBL has an "X" after the REP. She was purchased "fresh off the truck" the first of April, 2011.

I'm sure the "X" means it's a match grade 'cause it is soooooo accurate!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts