Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off the bucket list, purchased a fine Marlin made LC Smith Field Grade SxS circa 1968-70. Can find no reference to its value anywhere. Two questions: I paid $1200 for it, was that an okay deal or not ? Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings.

It has a 28 inch barrels , Mod and Full like all the guns in this production run. Question two: planning to get it fitted with screw in chokes for 5 stand and hunting. I'm of the opinion it is not much of a collectible shotgun, compared to the original LC Smith made by Hunter Arms ? And tubing it can't hurt its value to much, at least relative to what I payed for it ? Picture shows case hardening gone on the side plate, but it is all there in the second photo.

Line Magenta Wind instrument Automotive exterior Close-up

Natural material Trigger Shotgun Wood Gun accessory

Registered
First, very pretty scattergun, congratulations 馃憤

The gun is well worth what you paid, and perhaps 40-50% more. If tubing it is important to you so it will be utilized the most by you, do it. Just enjoy it, use it and don't worry about resale. You may not get 100% of the cost of the mod if sold soon, but who does recoup mods done on guns....lol.

Registered
Nice SxS. I really do not see how tubes will hurt value.
Is there enough wall to accommodate Rem Chokes of something similar? I would want flush fitting tubes.

Reactions: graymustang

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She has a true US made sidelock action with sideplates, Marlin did import box lock Italian Fausti shotguns with fake sideplates in the 2010s. Only about 2,000 Marlin LC Smith where made. As soon as she gets here, will measure barrel thickness for choke tubes. Did see one with tubes installed, so hopefully it will not be an issue, may chose to have the bore releaved to IC and Mod or IC & IC .

Reactions: Ret_Eng

Registered
It's all about the cost. I was going to buy a Winchester 101 and do the same thing until the local gunsmith advised me against it. The cost would have been $600 with chokes. This was over ten years ago. He was also concerned about the loss of integrity at the muzzle. I'm not a gun smith, so I took him at his word and scrapped that idea. I know this isn't a Winchester and opinions vary. I'd be interested to know what your research turns up.

Registered
I have a tap for 12 gauge Rem-Chokes. That looks like a good DIY project. I was going to tube my 1100.
I found a chopped 12 barrel at a gun show for next to nothing for a practice piece. Drew it up and bored the tap minor diameter and where I wanted the shoulder.
Everything went as planed. The tube bottomed out and was about .005 below the muzzle. It screwed in smooth with barely any clearance. About 80% threads by my calcs.
I lost interest when I measured the wall thickness on the 1100. I do not remember what it was but I thought it would be too thin for my comfort.

You are welcome to use the tap. It has only tapped 1 hole.

Reactions: Boris and jml

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's a reason they call pristine classic firearms unmolested. Molested, jus say'n.
Thanks, glad you pointed that out. There were only about 2000 of these made, 53 years ago.

A lot of thought is being given to having the chokes relieved to light modified and improved cylinder, leaving no outward appearance of molestation, and moving it from a pheasant boring to grouse which is much more useful to me.

Registered
I own close to a dozen and a half SxS's dating from the early 1890's to present and have had some work done on a few of them. The wall Tru Chokes are really the only safe way to mod and would run about 550 to 700 depending on the smith. I would advise against it myself. I have had the bores opened down a step on a few and unless it's a high end model with engraving that won't effect the value much if any. Personally I would open the full bore to either a light mod or imp/mod and leave the second barrel as is. It's a fine piece you have and congrats on your acquisition.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts