Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know at some point before Marlin's move they were still making guns with the JM stamp, but the quality may have already been in decline.

There is a 35 Rem at my LGS that has been on the shelf for a very long time. It is in perfect shape except it has a sling stud in the bulls eye, which can be remedied.
It is overpriced at $599, however, I think I can trade them a 336W 30-30 and not come out too bad. They know that in their shop the 30-30 will sell a lot faster than a 35 Rem.

All of my JM Marlins have the serial number on the tang. All Remlins that I have noticed have the serial number lasered into the left side of the receiver. This gun has the serial number (92XXXXXX) stamped into the left side of the receiver.

I now have 2 30-30's and 1 35 Rem. I think I would prefer to reverse that situation 2 35 Rems and 1 30-30. My safe is full or I would just keep adding rifles.

My question is should I in any way doubt the build quality of this 35 Rem just because it was built after they decided to move the serial number?

·
Super Moderator
25,164 Posts
+1 on what T-Roy has said--that 2008 model was built before all the bad changes that were to happen. I also think your LGS is high on the price too. I have a 2008 444 Marlin that shoots like a top--the serial number is on the lower left front of the receiver as well.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What was the actual year of the "take over", not the move of the plant, but the change of ownership/management?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

My 336W is a nice 30-30 but nothing special. I think I'll try to turn it into the 35 REM since I am loving that caliber and they are much harder to find. I can then keep my eyes open for 30-30's that are "different" like the Glenfield 30 that I just modified into a sweet little jewel of a rifle.

·
Super Moderator
25,164 Posts
Marlin was sold in 2008 if I remember right. The new management started to make changes in the manufacturing process at the CT factory during 2009. I had a 2009 336W 30-30 that was a great rifle which I traded away a year ago. Though these new ownership changes probably impacted quality during 2009--the really bad rifles started coming out in 2010 after the factory move.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm sure you did ok, but I would of made a deal on the 35 even though it was a high price.. I just love the 35.......

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At the rate it is moving off the shelf I will probably have another chance in the future to still get the 35.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts