Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"jm" barrel vs. "rep" barrel

i got a stainless xs7 in .308... showed it to a friend of a friend who knows a little bit about marlins. he was checking out the barrel and said "oh, it's a remington barrel." and i says "how do you know?" and he says "REP stamp right there." and i says "is that good or bad?" and he says "REAL marlins have JM stamp". and i says "i can get about 3/4" groups at 100 yards with 165 grain factory hornady." and he says "meh." and says "ok." and that was pretty much it.

so is he saying that with a JM barrel, i could get 1/4" groups at 100 yards? or something?

i dunno. my current groups are good enough for the hunting i do.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Re: "jm" barrel vs. "rep" barrel

If it's shooting 3/4" groups then I wouldn't worry about it too much. People are getting too caught up in what stamp their barrel has...........I have had dang good groups with Rem barrels.........that barrel will probably outshoot a Marlin made barrel! Just enjoy your new rifle! ;D

·
Registered
137 Posts

I have two XS7 in 308 one is JM the other REP they both shoot the same group with the same load. No difference to me.

·
Banned
373 Posts

It's really a moot point, as all the X7's from now on will have the REP (Remington) stamp barrel. As far as one being better than the other, my Remington 700 shoots smaller groups than my X7's.

·
Registered
240 Posts

I have a JM barrel 30-06 and shoot it while waiting for my .223 to cool down at the bench. My XL7 weighs 7.5 lbs and I'm lucky to get 1" groups because of the pounding recoil. I doubt I would give up a thing shooting a REP barrel. It's a great hunting rifle but needs a lot of help if you want to shoot for score.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have looked over the barrel of my XS7C and for the life of me can not find any REP or JM stamp. Where exactly is this stamp located?

·
Registered
22 Posts

I think the barrel markings is a moot point . Both are very good in the accuracy department. Important thing to improve on the XS 7 is to freefloat the barrel. ALso when you clean the barrel after a good range session, use a good copper solvent bore cleaner. That way you have a really cleaned barrel aside from removing the lead and carbon fouling. And proper bore cleaning technique paying attention not to bugger up the muzzle crown.

·
Registered
114 Posts

zigzag said:
........And proper bore cleaning technique paying attention not to bugger up the muzzle crown.
Ok, I am new to the muzzle crown so please forgive me. How does a crown affect the bullet as it leaves the barrel?

·
Registered
84 Posts

Coolidge_Coues said:
Ok, I am new to the muzzle crown so please forgive me. How does a crown affect the bullet as it leaves the barrel?
The muzzle crown provides propellant gases a resistance free path for the bullet when it exits the bore of the barrel, the gas escapes uniformly and evenly around the bullet's base... some people believe it may not have a real effect on accuracy, for me the crown is just there to protect the rifling.

·
Banned
2,359 Posts

No ifs ,ands ,or buts about it. A dinged crown or bad crown will affect your accuracy.A Recessed Crown will protect your rifling.A Target Crown,not so much.Here are a couple ways to recrown your rifle barrel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3ELBpqYCQc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I am new to the forum and had not a clue what was a "Remlin" until tonight. I just purchased (and waiting for) a used 45/70 off GB and the owner said "JM" was stamped on the barrel. By the way I did a search on the Internet which led me back to this exact discussion. Now I am starting to learn about my Marlins. Thank you.

Wendell

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you are shooting 3/4 groups be happy and just shoot it.
IMO the "JM" vs "REM" barrel stamp hoopla is from (respectfully) the original loyal Marlin owners who consider Remington Junk. So when the tranfer of ownership between Marlin and Remington (the freedom group) happened, the loyalist (respectfully) thought the world or Marlin was coming to an end and anything associated with Remington would be nothing but trouble.
As many have stated here that they see no difference between barrels, if you New Marlin is shooting good. Be happy and spread the lead!

I am not preaching and certianly do not claim to be a know it all, And I will agree that the original Marlins were a top notch firearm, but so were the Remingtons. I own both, And would not trade either. With that said it does appear that the "NEW REMLINS" are going thru some issues in some models and the future and quality of Marlin and Remington is yet to be determined.

Once again, if you have a good shooting Rifle, regardless of the barrel stamp, as the saying goes "dont worry, be happy"

Enjoy,

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have two marked "REM". Guess what? They both shoot sub moa with my handloads all day long. If that's what Remlin junk is like, keep the junk coming:)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have two marked "REM". Guess what? They both shoot sub moa with my handloads all day long. If that's what Remlin junk is like, keep the junk coming:)
i agree 100% with you on this...but...ther has been a few issues. a good gunsmith that i know has built many and has found threads missing and awfull metalurgy on the remington barrels compared to the marlins...but only on a few...not all. i would buy a remlin xl7 if that eases your thoughts. i also consider myself a loyal marlin collector

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think the "Junk" terminology originated in NY after the lever production moved there. However its my understanding the bolts are made in Kentucky . The problems don't seem to be from there. They have had there share in NY though .

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
IMO Remington ALWAYS made a good barrel ! Lever Rifles are a little different story.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
IMO Remington ALWAYS made a good barrel ! Lever Rifles are a little different story.
thats wrong. remington has since day one suffered from lemon barrels. for every 10 barrels, they ship out a bad one. they always have. nobody gets 10 remingtons that all shoot one hole unless they come through the custom shop. one good remington barrel is just that, one good remington barrel. theres lots of good ones out there, but they always had the lemon barrel plague but in remingtons defense, they will warantee those barrels withough question and they do those fast, there used to it.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Remember I said "Good" barrel, not Great. I think overall a JM stamped Marlin barrel is better than what Remington sold me anyway, and I never complained about a Remington Barrel. Mine were all good shooters. I would not consider myself a Sniper, and I have nothing bad to say about a Remington Barrel as I have 4, but they will not touch my JM stamped Marlins. Not even close.

Reactions: tnpaw
1 - 20 of 30 Posts