Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Xlr 30-30 and it cycles empty brass fine but soon as I chamber a loaded round and it the slightest bit of friction from a tighter neck or cast boolit just kissing the rifling the extractor claw jumps over the rim.

On inspection there is very little rim showing in the cut out for the extractor to grab.

When I get a stuck case very little effort with a knife or a screw driver frees the round from the chamber.

Anyone with ideas or a close up pic of a round pushed into a chamber. Just curious to see how much rim others have to grab onto.

Ill try and get pics of mine up tomorrow

?????????????????????????????????????

Thanks

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took a look through the gun smith section but didn't see it. Do you mean just bent the end out a little???? I sharpened the grabby bit and changed the angle slightly and that seemed to help.

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
You can't bend the hook OUT, because its brazed in elbow of the bend.

Remove the bolt, and with a small hammer, tap the extractor nose so the sharp end of the hook is moved closer to the firing pin by about .020....

That should remedy your Extractor slipping off the case rim on extraction.

Tom

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Humm tried that as well. Seems there isn't enough rim to grab onto. The ramp on the chamber that the extractor sits in does not come to a thin point and the rim is almost flush with it. If that makes any scene. Might be time for a small file???????????????

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
Humm tried that as well. Seems there isn't enough rim to grab onto. The ramp on the chamber that the extractor sits in does not come to a thin point and the rim is almost flush with it. If that makes any scene. Might be time for a small file???????????????
Sounds like the Extraxtor cut is not to spec................Go in and relieve it carefully with a Dremel tool, to allow the Extractor more purchase on the case rim...........

Tom

Reactions: c.t.smith

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should the cut come to a sharp edge that comes down to the rim of the brass. If there is any brass showing when the case is chambered will it still be structural???????

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.