Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy everyone , and greetings from sunny Arizona!

So I picked up this beautiful rifle and I'm just waiting for an opportunity to get to the range and put some rounds through it. In the meantime, I noticed that whenever I try to chamber a round from the tube magazine, my Hornady Leverevolution 325gr bullets seem to resist going into battery. Actually they will jam tail end up and result in the front of the case getting scratched rather deeply.

I searched the forum and found a trick to re-tension the extractor with a flat screwdriver, but it didn't help at all.

The round seems to jam after being lifted up, as its coming into contact with the chamber lip, which feels a bit sharp, and will finally go into battery if I push the lever forward and back a bit and wiggle the rifle a bit then pulling the lever back again.

I hope this will work itself off with a couple hundred rounds thru it. If not, should I be looking to replace the extractor or take it to a gunsmith to polish the chamber?

Thanks a million, gents.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
My first question for you.
Are you working the lever fast and hard? If you do it slowly, you will have issues with the cartridge hanging up.
If you are working the action fast and hard and are still having issues with it going into battery, then a solution that has worked for this, is to take a wood dowel that is smaller than the chamber and wrap a piece of emery cloth around it so that it will fit snug in the chamber. Attach the dowel to a drill and carefully polish that chamber. It will clean out any machining marks and or tiny burrs that may be holding you up.
Good luck,
Andrew

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,661 Posts
What is that gouged out section in the breach end of the chamber? It looks like it could stop a Mac truck, let alone a feeding cartridge. My 1994 manufactured 1895 doesn't even remotely look like that at all. AC

·
Registered
856 Posts
What is that gouged out section in the breach end of the chamber? It looks like it could stop a Mac truck, let alone a feeding cartridge. My 1994 manufactured 1895 doesn't even remotely look like that at all. AC
Agreed. Mine doesn’t look like that, either.

Reactions: Owen49

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
if you're going to use Hornady LeveRevolution ammo, you'll need to use a concave mag follower due to the Hornady 'gummy tip".

The new style follower also works with other ammo. But the "old style" OE Marlin follower will not feed Hornady "gummy tips" correctly and will usually jam like you're experiencing.

Contact Marlin and they'll likely send you one for free. Or you can buy one or buy one of the "custom" aluminum, or SS,or brass new style concave followers from various sources. I found a nice SS one on ebay.......

Also try some Winchester SuperX 300gn JHP ammo and if it works fine, but the Hornadys do not, then you'll know for sure the old follower is the cause.

The difference is the new ones have a concave face to work with the Hornady LR ammo , but still works with JHP and lead flat meplat ammo

Reactions: rlm1 and Owen49

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thank you very much for the tip. Yes, this happens when I try to chamber the round hard and fast. I saw on this forum that you should try to cycle it fast. I'll definitely try the solution you suggested!
My first question for you.
Are you working the lever fast and hard? If you do it slowly, you will have issues with the cartridge hanging up.
If you are working the action fast and hard and are still having issues with it going into battery, then a solution that has worked for this, is to take a wood dowel that is smaller than the chamber and wrap a piece of emery cloth around it so that it will fit snug in the chamber. Attach the dowel to a drill and carefully polish that chamber. It will clean out any machining marks and or tiny burrs that may be holding you up.
Good luck,
Andrew

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I I'm very new to these guns so I'm not sure exactly what that part is supposed to look like. It is where the extractor rests when there's something in battery.

It is strange looking but the edges are flat the curved part looks a little weird but I can't tell if that's intentional.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 1895G and a 1895GS, both JM guns, and both will feed fine whether I cycle the lever fast or slow. Not sure about the "fast and hard" advice on cycling the action, if it won't feed reliably then trying to ram it by forcing the lever probably won't help. If you have to force the round to get it to chamber I would think you have deeper problems than how fast you are cycling the action.

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
Okay thank you very much for the tip. Yes, this happens when I try to chamber the round hard and fast. I saw on this forum that you should try to cycle it fast. I'll definitely try the solution you suggested!

What year was your rifle manufactured?
Andrew

·
Registered
285 Posts
What year was your rifle manufactured?
Andrew
I think they were manufactured in 2008 or 2009, just after Remington took over control of what was Marlin’s North Haven, CT plant in January, 2008.

Ray

Reactions: rlm1

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you're going to use Hornady LeveRevolution ammo, you'll need to use a concave mag follower due to the Hornady 'gummy tip".

The new style follower also works with other ammo. But the "old style" OE Marlin follower will not feed Hornady "gummy tips" correctly and will usually jam like you're experiencing.

Contact Marlin and they'll likely send you one for free. Or you can buy one or buy one of the "custom" aluminum, or SS,or brass new style concave followers from various sources. I found a nice SS one on ebay.......

Also try some Winchester SuperX 300gn JHP ammo and if it works fine, but the Hornadys do not, then you'll know for sure the old follower is the cause.

The difference is the new ones have a concave face to work with the Hornady LR ammo , but still works with JHP and lead flat meplat ammo
Thank you for this thorough answer. I am also going to try this one as well. Ordered a brass follower from Beartooth Mercantile. I'd rather give them the money than Midway, nothing on Midway but I'm partial to the little guys and let's face it, it's a great price!

https://beartoothmercantile-2.mysho...in-followers/products/magazine-follower-brass

I'm also going to get some traditional style flat head ammo.

I bought a 1894 several months ago that wouldn't feed or eject well at all. I wound up replacing the extractor with one from RPP and it solved all my problems.
I would just love to see RPP make an extractor for the 1895 but AFAIK they don't.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Thank you for this thorough answer. I am also going to try this one as well. Ordered a brass follower from Beartooth Mercantile. I'd rather give them the money than Midway, nothing on Midway but I'm partial to the little guys and let's face it, it's a great price!

https://beartoothmercantile-2.mysho...in-followers/products/magazine-follower-brass

I'm also going to get some traditional style flat head ammo.

I would just love to see RPP make an extractor for the 1895 but AFAIK they don't.
THe red delrin Marlin follower is only @ 4 bux max. You;ll needto clean and oil the brass one a bit more often so it don't corrode in the tube. Other than that it'll do fine. And why I chose a SS one, (got it from Trivette's Gunsmithingout of Lenoir NC off ebay, but I also have a new concave red delrin Marlin one too. Marlin mailed it to me for free...

FWIW,There's really nothing wrong with the OE marlin extractor. I bought a spare one just to have in case marlin folds under Remington's watch. FWIW I buy a lot from midwayusa... I watch for the sales,I buy from Brownells too. I check both to see who's got the better price. (I'm cheap) Both offer excellant services in my experience.

Reactions: rlm1 and PogoJack

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I got the brass follower from Beartooth Mercantile and besides the fact that it was extremely nice looking, it was well made and dropped right into the magazine tube without issues.

I am now able to feed my flex tip bullets. Seems to only feed when I cycle quickly, and gets a bit caught up if I do it slowly.

I will do the dowel thing on the breech end of the barrel as well.

Thank you for your help everybody!

Those bullets with the deep scratches and nicks from feeding on them, can I still fire them or should I toss them out? I'm not sure how easy it is for shells to burst or malfunction.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Well, I got the brass follower from Beartooth Mercantile and besides the fact that it was extremely nice looking, it was well made and dropped right into the magazine tube without issues.

I am now able to feed my flex tip bullets. Seems to only feed when I cycle quickly, and gets a bit caught up if I do it slowly.

I will do the dowel thing on the breech end of the barrel as well.

Thank you for your help everybody!

Those bullets with the deep scratches and nicks from feeding on them, can I still fire them or should I toss them out? I'm not sure how easy it is for shells to burst or malfunction.

Probably don't apply to you, but you are holding the rifle upright as one would when shooting it when you work the lever to reload, don't you? You are not holding whereas the receiver is 'sideways/on it's side, when leveering in another round...right?

Reactions: bkg1956

·
Registered
856 Posts

i would think they’re fine as long as they feed into the chamber without binding up and the scratches aren’t terribly deep, as in penetrating the case.

·
Registered
3 Posts

So if I were to buy a brand new 1895 today, it would have the concave faced follower you mentioned?
Thanks!
Crow

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'm still thinking your feed problem is the extractor. My JM did the same thing and a little adjustment on the extractor with a screw driver to pry it out and polish the sharp edge on the bottom of it, where the case rim slides up under it, will help. My scratched case was a dupe of yours. The guys on here helped me out on that one.
Have a great day.
Jim

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.