Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
It’s a tough decision for me on which JM I’m going to hunt with. i couldn’t imagine not using them.

1976 model 336 in 35 Rem is up to bat tomorrow

·
Registered
715 Posts
Just had my beautiful 1972 1895 out today. They are meant to hunt, just find a balance.
I have stopped taking mine out in extreme wet/snowy conditions. Take a stainless synthetic Rem 700 out instead.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Can only speak for myself, but my guns are for shooting and hunting. last 2 Marlins I bought were a 218 Bee and a 25-20. both unfired, one in the box. all I can say, they ain't unfired anymore. It is made to be shot and hunted with and enjoyed, but not abused.
Barry

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Hello,
My dad bought me a new 336cs (JM stamped... just recently I’ve learned what that is) in .35 REM. The rifle was bought for me as my first deer rifle in 1993.
Is there any reason to believe I shouldn’t carry it into the woods and use it? Are they becoming rare (JM stamped models)? Or were there 100’s of thousands made and the JM’s won’t become rare for another 50 years?
I am a tradition-based hunter and have no reason to NOT want to use the gun I’ve been hunting with for 27 deer seasons (if I had a corvette, I would insist on driving it...not letting it sit in a garage). Just want to make sure. Thank you for your thoughts.
-Matt
Czarne10,

If you have a safe, more than likely you will scratch and dent wood more taking rifles in our out of the safe. Put a sock on it in the safe to keep others from leaving handling marks.

Get some Carnuba paste car wax and give everything, wood and metal, a coat and buff before taking it out for the hunt to protect from the elements.

I have only one rule with respect to firearms. If you are not shooting them, they need to be traded up for something you will shoot. You should adopt your philosophy about cars with your weapons. They need exercise.

Reactions: Pukka Bundook.

·
Registered
851 Posts
You have your answer, now you no we like pictures. Please post a picture so we can see that beautiful 35 Remington

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
If you decide to make that rifle a safe queen to protect it's monetary value, you have forgotten your father's love. Your dad gave you that rifle to enjoy, to use, to create memories with. How can all that happen if it's sitting in a safe?

Reactions: marlinluvr

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Use it and take care of it. Should last many generations. My SS LTD is 1 of 500 and I used it for hunting. Wife dropped it while I was gutting and put a small ding in stock but that is what makes stories. We call that use. 😅
I shot my antique single shots for many years. A 1888 Marlin Ballard 32-40 and a 1890's Hopkins Allen with Stevens 25-20 barrel. They were two very accurate antiques. However, after a few years in the safe without exercise, I let someone else enjoy the experience of making one hole groups with antiques!

Like you, I have a special edition. It is a 1 or 50 1885 Win in 32-40 I picked up second hand that gets plenty of exercise. They are meant to be shot!

·
Registered
19,857 Posts
Welcome from South Florida! IMHO, memories are made in the woods...not in a safe!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Shoot it, shoot it, shoot it, clean it, clean it, clean it, but don't abuse it! :D (y) Welcome aboard from Texas!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Read the Marine creed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
There's a difference between collector value and demand value. They built a lot of 336's. There's now a demand for JM's. Doesn't make most of them collectors items. Shoot that thing. I recently lucked into a BO prefixed 1972 1895 45/70. That may well have been unfired. I fixed that quick.

·
Registered
9,613 Posts
Agreed with all above. Guns were meant to use and create memories with. Good maintenance and it will become a family heirloom.

Reactions: PoopDeckPappy

·
Registered
140 Posts
use it and take care of it

Reactions: PoopDeckPappy

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
What a concept.Actually hunting with a gun made for hunting!!:D

·
Super Moderator
5,028 Posts
All of my guns are "collectable" .... they're in my collection and get shot a lot. If the Rapture don't come first, hopefully my grandson and his two boys can try to finish wearing them out.

jd

21 - 40 of 42 Posts