Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My dad bought me a new 336cs (JM stamped... just recently I’ve learned what that is) in .35 REM. The rifle was bought for me as my first deer rifle in 1993.
Is there any reason to believe I shouldn’t carry it into the woods and use it? Are they becoming rare (JM stamped models)? Or were there 100’s of thousands made and the JM’s won’t become rare for another 50 years?
I am a tradition-based hunter and have no reason to NOT want to use the gun I’ve been hunting with for 27 deer seasons (if I had a corvette, I would insist on driving it...not letting it sit in a garage). Just want to make sure. Thank you for your thoughts.
-Matt

·
Registered
348 Posts
Is there any reason to believe I shouldn’t carry it into the woods and use it?
IMHO not at all!

Used and handled with care and properly maintained it should last forever with little change in it's appearance or function.

Lack of care and abuse are a guns' (or most anything) the reasons for most problems and degrading of them.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
It is a Marlin, it is a 35 Rem, that dog needs to hunt! Use it and take care of it. I hunt with a 1953 336SC in 35 Rem. It has nice patina to it and is definitely not a collector gun. I would take it any day over any of the newer guns.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
There is no reason not to use your gift as it was intended to be used.
Hunt with your gun, take your deer... and remember your dad.
Let whoever comes after you worry about whatever "collector value" remains.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Shoot it, keep it clean and have fun - it is made fo it.

Reactions: Maineiac

·
Super Moderator
5,028 Posts
Shoot it and enjoy it .... at 67 I've learned that I can't afford to buy stuff and put it back hoping for the magic escalation in price. It was made to use and enjoy while you still can.

My unsolicited opinion.

jd

·
Registered
311 Posts
Worse damage I see on old rifles is just plain neglect. Shooting and using them is not what ruins them. You are not going to wear the barrel out on a .35 Rem by shooting it. If you had enough ammo, you could shoot it every day of your life, maintained properly. Parts can be replaced if worn out. If it were mine, I would be shooting and using it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Am I missing something? Your father gave this 336 to you as a gift in 1993 for deer hunting? You have never used it to hunt deer with yet? Just think how lonely that 27 year old 35 cal 336 must feal! Wow.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts