Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mrs. E & I arrived Thurs about 1:00 pm and got settled in to our cabin next to the pool.
I was excited as this would be my first hog hunt - and - it was a Father's day present from her.
I went out to the range with my 1895 45-70 to confirm that my sights had not changed from the previous Saturday range session. I was surprised to find the new Bushnell 3X9 had shifted several inches. I got it adjusted after about 1/2 box of ammo. I was using Cor-Bon 350gr Bonded Core soft points.
My guide Oscar took me out to a stand about 10 miles away for a couple of hours before supper. The stand was at the edge of a 150 yard clearing with a feeder off to the right side. All the feeders out there have a small light on a pole pointed at the ground under the feeder. After the elk moved out of the clearing about 13 black buck does moved in to graze. After about an hour a small pig appeared under the feeder about 100 yds away. I took aim - bang - miss. The pig ran off unharmed ARGH!! Soon after this Oscar picked me up & we went back to the ranch. A quick trip back to the range & readjusted the scope.
The cook was off for the night so we went to town for a steak & shrimp dinner at the local restaurant.
After dinner Oscar took me back out to the same stand. By the time twilight was turning into darkness the little light near the feeder was visible - but only enough light for my eyes to make out shapes thru the scope. Oscar had left me a spotlight with a red lens to help pick out the pigs from among the deer. Well I couldn't do it - there were pigs & deer all over but I couldn't be sure which was which with enough certainty to shoot. I sure didn't want to accidentally kill an exotic that would cost me hundreds or thousnads of dollars!!!! Also I had left my binocusars back at the cabin - so - I just waited until 10 when Oscar came back to pick me up. Boy was I disgusted!!!! UNPREPARED!!!
@ 5:15am the knock on the door meant the begining of a new day & the possibility of better hunting. Mrs.E decided to go with me to watch and Oscar found a much better stand (almost hotel quality) for us & it was 25 yards closer to its feeder. Well this is better I thought and soon 3 pigs came down the road. They stopped by the feeder and began feeding on the corn. I shot a nice 75# one right behind the shoulder & it ran off down the road - stopped - spun around several times & expired. Mrs E was getting excited about this now. She had never been interested in hunting before. We waited for a while & along came another about the same size. I shot him head on while his head was down under the feeder. The bullet entered the neck just behind the skull & exited the stomach area with an orange size exit wound. When the guide came back for us to go and eat breakfast he loaded the 2 pigs in the back of his pick up and found that when I had shot the first pig the bullet passed thru & hit another one. I hadn't even seen this as both ran off at the shot. This second one was shot thru both back legs & must have bled to death.
After breakfast we went back to the same blind & I got a shot at an even larger (maybe 150#) one but that one was a complete miss. All the while Mrs.E had been looking at these Axis deer in velvet thru the binoculars. Well, now she wants to come back & get one, have a head mount & rug made!!!!! At one time she counted 30 deer feeding near the blind.
After supper I dedided that I couldn't hit well enough in low light with the 45/70 & the new cheapie scope so I took out my Winchester M70 in .270. About dark a hog larger than the others we had seen came up under the feeder. I shot it behind the front shoulder & it bolted. I believe I had a good hit & waited a short while then got out of the stand & went down to the feeder to see. When I got there he was about 25 yards back in the brush. He got up & hobbled quickly away. I tried another shot to anchor him but it was too dark to see the crosshairs plainly & missed. He then ran off at full speed into the rattlesnake infested brush. (Oscar had shown us a pretty good size rattlesnake he caught 2 days before) When Oscar came to pick us up I told him I did not think we could find this one. He went into the underbrush & found a lot of blood to follow - but didn't find the big pig. HOWEVER, he did find a second pig shot after passing thru the large one. This one also shot thru the rear legs. But this one was only a little piglet about 18" long & the hind quarters were missing. That was almost sickening and what a waste.
We got back to the ranch about 10:30 and were cleaning up when a 2 hrour long storm hit that was almost like a hurricane. The rain was coming down in sheets almost horizontaly, The pool furniture was thrown about & some of it broken. The next morning they said the winds were 65MPH and a couple of inches of rain. We decided to not hunt the remaining morning but to cut it short & spend some time in San Antonio on the way back to the Fort Worth area..
I would recommend this place & would go back again if there is $$$ for it.
However for me - next time the night hunts would be with a pistol. The bow & pistol hunters have tripod stands 15 yards from the feeders & I could see better. Also the possibility of pass thru hits would be just about eliminated.
All in all it was about the best Father's day present I've had.
We didn't take the digital camera - so I will post photos when they come back from the lab.
Jim.e

http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v57/Jim.e/3pigs.jpg

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Sounds Wonderful, can't wait for pics..

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Jim,

Sounds like you had a good hunt with lots of opportunities. Meat in the freezer!! Glad you had a good time and I'll bet the wife loved the facilities.

We used lighted reticles as well as the Nightblasters when we went. I took off the red lense or rather the recoil from the first shot did.

Dave :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts