Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok friends, need your opinions and feedback.

I went to the Nations Gun Show today (always a favorite when they come to town). There are a lot of dealers but only one that truly specializes in lever guns. This dealer has a good looking collection that are clean and tidy....I'm in heaven just looking at them. I see a 2001 336W that looks brand new. I ask to see the rifle....it has a zip tie (all his rifles do) on the action. After inspecting the rifle I ask to cycle the action. Immediately I could tell he wasn't too happy about this but he cut the tie and let me cycle the action. It was rough and difficult to cycle to say the least. No question this rifle was new or so close to new that it made no difference. The quality and craftsmanship of the mechanics was simply superb. So I keep trying to cycle the action but it's really stiff and, in fact, almost feels like I'm breaking it when I run it. Now...understand it's not like I'm whipping the action through a cowboy action shoot. I'm gently but firmly trying to run it once or twice.

The dealer starts to get pissed and strongly suggests I don't need to be cycling the action and reminds me it's new. I'm really wanting to buy this rifle but I'm not if there's something wrong with the action. Finally he goes to grab the rifle and tells me not to do it. I gladly handed him the rifle never to even think about buying from him. I'll be certain to make sure I tell ever one of my friends and fellow enthusiasts not to purchase from him either. He was anything but customer service.

In my mind there is absolutely zero problem cycling the action of that rifle as many times as I feel necessary to make an educated purchase. It's not like it's going to hurt the rifle or ruin the resell value in any way.....right? I mean really....who doesn't let someone cycle the action of a lever gun before they buy it?

Thoughts and opinions are welcome....if I overstepped this one please let me know and why.

Cheers
M

Reactions: GrondHamar

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have been on both sides of this situation. As a dealer, you get a lot of people who want to handle the guns. Most will not buy anything, they just like to play. It can get pretty aggravating by the end of the weekend. That being said, this is all part of the deal when you have a table at a gun show. Most gun shows require dealers and anyone that walks into the show carrying a gun to have it tied. Just think about how many times this guy had to cut and re-tie that rifle. Was the dealer out of line with the way he acted. I don't think so, it's his gun and he has that right. On the other hand, if you piss off a potential customer. You aren't going to sell to many guns by the end of the day. So he screwed himself by acting that way. You did the right thing, just walk away and spend your money at another table.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
No way I am buying a lever gun without cycling the action. I learned this lesson the hard way. I one of my weaker moments I broke down and bought a "Band New" Remlin at a gun show. After a three month tour of the Remington fix it shop it now works great. You bet you ask him to cycle the gun and when it does not cycle well ask him why. Cycling a lever gun only helps break it in.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Sounds like a poorly fitted gun and he wanted to hide the fact he was selling a lemon. Scary hu? You could have bought yourself a real headache. In his own way he knew he could not pull the wool over your eyes so he snatched it back before you turned away too many other customers. He might have been trying to pull a fast one but was not fast enough. There are plenty of good guns. No need not to fully inspect it.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Something else. I hate the fact that Ive taken trade matirial to some shows. Try to make a deal. My stuff is junk and theirs is top of the line. Like I dont know what I have and what they have. They think every ones stupid.

·
Registered
672 Posts
As stated above, I also have been on both sides for many years. You see and deal with everything God ever made! Be polite, move on. Was not the rifle for you.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Obviously, it depends on what show you are talking about but most of the people at "Local Gun Shows" are really not in the Firearm business full time. There are some dealers there, but there are more independent people selling firearms and related stuff to make some money on a weekend. I never pick up a gun that I am not interested in buying. Conversely, if I see a lever gun in excellent condition and after checking the price tag, I will pick it up and work the lever to check the chamber. Does it have a firing pin? Is it clean, does it look worn? Anyone that is really interested in a gun needs to give it the once over. I usually have a bore light in my pocket when I go to gun shows, provided I also have CASH!

Maybe that guy thought you were over doing it. I would have told him that the rifle felt tight and handed it back to him. No sense in rattling his cage if it wasn't working properly.

Think of all the money you saved!

Mike T.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I am setting up at a show tomorrow. I am pretty laid back but don't ever think that people behind the table don't get a belly full at times. Folks come by that don't know the difference between a rifle and a shotgun. Little kids have to pick up and examine your stuff while their Dad is talking t.o someone. At our last show my buddy had 3 bricks of 22 bullets on the table and a older man in a wheelchair came by and ask me how much a brick and I told him my fiend was asking 40.00 a brick but he had gone to the restroom and would be back soon. He said in a loud voice for me to tell my friend to go to hell because he was asking too much for the ammo and quickly wheeled away but not before I threw some words his way. The nerve of some people. I was setting up today before the show and I noticed that one dealer had CCI segmented 22 bullets in bricks and I ask him how much he was getting on a brick and he told me 200.00 dollars a brick, I know I did not hear him wrong. I do remember him saying that he had to buy a lot of ammo before they would let him have the 22 ammo and it was high. All in all I try to get along and I really have good time at a gun show even though but I am in it small time. I hope a good Marlin comes by tomorrow. Ha

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've dealt with gun shops that get that ticked off when you cycle a bolt or a lever.
One place near me is real small but he really dislikes letting anyone touch the
guns he has for sale and he yelled at me for cycling twice (not dry firing) a bolt
action gun that I was looking at.
I handed it back, said thanks and left.
I must have cycled the Rossi 92 that I bought at another local place a hundred times.
Again not dry firing it. The owner asked me how I liked it.
So no drama there and I ended up buying it a week later.
If a place is that fearful of you cycling the action and believe me some gun stores are.
The local Bass Pro won't unlock the trigger until you buy it.
The local guns shows do not allow the guns to have the zip ties removed.
at least that's what several dealers told me.

So no money changed hands. If cycling a gun by hand will break or damage it.
Then I sure wouldn't want to fire it with live ammo!

·
Banned
515 Posts
For gunshow do's and don'ts, I'm going to one tomorrow. Would I be out of line taking some pictures of guns that might interest me but not buying? No gun money at this time, still like to look.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
It wouldn't bother some folks but I have heard of others it would bother.. Someone might think they are getting their picture took to incriminate them. About the same thing in Las Vegas caisino where a camera is outlawed.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I wouldn't buy a rifle that I had not cycled or looked down the bore. On centerfires I ask for permission to do both and to dryfire it. I don't dryfire rimfires though. I would have walked away also.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Ok friends, need your opinions and feedback.

I went to the Nations Gun Show today (always a favorite when they come to town). There are a lot of dealers but only one that truly specializes in lever guns. This dealer has a good looking collection that are clean and tidy....I'm in heaven just looking at them. I see a 2001 336W that looks brand new. I ask to see the rifle....it has a zip tie (all his rifles do) on the action. After inspecting the rifle I ask to cycle the action. Immediately I could tell he wasn't too happy about this but he cut the tie and let me cycle the action. It was rough and difficult to cycle to say the least. No question this rifle was new or so close to new that it made no difference. The quality and craftsmanship of the mechanics was simply superb. So I keep trying to cycle the action but it's really stiff and, in fact, almost feels like I'm breaking it when I run it. Now...understand it's not like I'm whipping the action through a cowboy action shoot. I'm gently but firmly trying to run it once or twice.

The dealer starts to get pissed and strongly suggests I don't need to be cycling the action and reminds me it's new. I'm really wanting to buy this rifle but I'm not if there's something wrong with the action. Finally he goes to grab the rifle and tells me not to do it. I gladly handed him the rifle never to even think about buying from him. I'll be certain to make sure I tell ever one of my friends and fellow enthusiasts not to purchase from him either. He was anything but customer service.

In my mind there is absolutely zero problem cycling the action of that rifle as many times as I feel necessary to make an educated purchase. It's not like it's going to hurt the rifle or ruin the resell value in any way.....right? I mean really....who doesn't let someone cycle the action of a lever gun before they buy it?

Thoughts and opinions are welcome....if I overstepped this one please let me know and why.

Cheers
M
I guess you're nicer then I am, I wouldn't have been able to not tell him I was thinking about buying the gun but now he could stick it where the sun don't shine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts