Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really do not like the "modern" :puke:muzzleloading rifles that have been pushing the old rifles around for several years but this is a funny add. Any way it is about as much of a Hawken rifle as the Italian rifle they had Redford use. What's next Robinhood with a compound?:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Don't much care for inlines, I'll take an Italian sidehammer gun over them anyday.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I never shot an in line rifle, yet. I like flintlocks, percussion will do in a scrape though. That was a good commercial in any event.

·
Registered
910 Posts
i love the old ones, but jj would have used it in a heartbeat (till he ran out of 209s)

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Loved JJ, hated the wannabe Hawken rifles in it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well I must say, It had a good start and a humorous finish.

Although I admit I do shoot an inline bp gun (TC Endevour which is greatly outnumbered by the number of sidelocks and flintlocks I have) but I would never insult an epic film such as JJ like CVA did. But it was funny I have to admit.

Sgt Recoil

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Hey I got a CVA hawkens. It was a gift and in parts when I got her. Made a nice project. Hate to see them mess up a good movie

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Okay, I'll be the oddball, here. I shoot both modern MLs and traditional. My inlines haven't replaced my traditional guns, just added a new wrinkle in my shooting and, hey, they are fun, too.

As for the movie, I still love the original and Redford (okay, a girl thing), but every time we watch it, I can't help thinking how it could have been more authentic and historically accurate. Oh, well, maybe someone will do a remake and do it, right.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Country Gal I have never handled a real Hawken Rifle but I have had the pleasure to handle a couple of bench copies. There is no comparison between the TC Hawken and what a real one feels like.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
I am a spoiled, over weight, white, Christian, combat vet, American

I wont settle for second best. None of that third world production stuff

In these parts we roll our own

Lock.JPG

·
Registered
289 Posts
When I saw this on FB a week or so ago I hated it. Now, not so much. Its an ad, selling what sells for CVA. And its pretty well true to the movie, except for removing the line about hoping indians don't find the rifle...
I still don't like inlines. But I like to think that inlines might be a gateway drug to bring people into real muzzle loading.
Zach

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Years ago I handled Jim Bridger's Hawken at the old Green River Rifle Works in UT, a TC Hawken offers no functional difference and have won many a shooting contest against fine custom guns. That said modern inline "so called" black powder guns are an abomination in the eyes of God. Because greedy manufacturers decided to infringe on hard won historic weapon hunts black powder hunting seasons are now little different than regular rifle season. Every year I volunteer at my club range sight in days for the public and when one of these inline bastardizations shows up it makes my skin crawl and bile rise in my throat. Plastic wrapped bullets and witches brew propellants ... pittui spit spit spit.

John...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts