Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks-

New to the site so go easy on me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I have a JC Higgins Model 45. Not a Glenfield technically but in reality a Glenfield by another name. Looks like a 336SC but has a full length magazine.

I need to replace the stock. Can I use a 336SC stock?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why do you need to replace the stock?
I just bought this rifle on Gunbroker. I didn't notice when I picked it up but it has a cracked buttstock. (In my defense I was picking up 3 rifles and didn't give it a thorough exam and my FFL didn't notice it either.) When I got home and gave it a careful examination I discovered the crack. I didn't see it, I felt it. Then I looked carefully and saw it. It appeared to be very small but when I stressed it I could see it went back from the end of the upper tang, then circled down almost to the end of the lower tang.
'
It's otherwise a very nice rifle, 1960 built and obviously well-maintained and not abused. The seller says he didn't notice the crack and in the circumstances I have no reason to disbelieve him. (He has excellent feedback.) He says he will make it right, so I'm in the market for a stock. Seems unlikely I'll find just a Higgins buttstock, but I don't know if the store brand guns all used the same stocks. Looks like the typical birch stock. I'll take a matching set of store brand stock and forend or regular Marlon stock and forend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.