Marlin Firearms Forum banner

JC Higgins Model 45 30-30 lever. Marlin? Or not?.. *UPDATE*

24K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Brian in FL 
#1 ·
Morning Kidz, I've been searching around here this morning but can't find an answer to whether or not this rifle I have my eye on would be an actual Marlin lever action built for Sears. Serial number is V6XXX.

Thanx in advance,

RB

See less See more
#4 ·
#5 ·
Re: JC Higgins Model 45 30-30 lever. Marlin? Or not?......

V prefix would make it a late 1961 or 1962.
I've had mine since 1962.

Attachments

#7 ·

If you look to your left you will see me with my frist deer and the rifle.

I love it, and shoot it when ever I can. I'm about to work up a hand load for it. Just havn't gotten to it yet.

#8 ·

Plumber said:
If you look to your left you will see me with my frist deer and the rifle.

I love it, and shoot it when ever I can. I'm about to work up a hand load for it. Just havn't gotten to it yet.

Though I don't hunt, that's a good enough recommendation for me, Plumber. I'm gonna buy this gal right now...she should look pretty good surrounded by my three JC Higgins shotguns, si como no?.... ;D

#9 ·

My first 12ga was a JC Higgins (Flight King). I also had a JC Higgins Mod. 31. (a 22 simiauto that shot short, long and long rifle). It came with a scope, and a retractable sling.

#10 ·

Well that's just freakin' great---was a mere click away from 'Buying it Now' when I re-read the fine print. NO Shipments to Kalifornia!. Called the store up and begged and pleaded with two different salesmen there......but they won't budge.

Damndamndamndamn this stupid state..... ::)

#11 ·
#12 ·

If I can remember right JC Higgins was a clerk that worked for Sears in Chicago, when they wanted a sports line, they just decided to use his name, and the rest is history.

#14 ·

Yeah, but it's a 35 Rem! :eek:

#16 ·

Per wikipedia this is the history and origin of the name JC Higgins:

The brand name, J. C. Higgins, was based on a real person, John Higgins who was a Sears employee. He moved from his birth country of Ireland to the United States in his late teens and began working for Sears in 1898. He spent his entire working career with Sears and was Vice President for the company for a period of time. He was actually born with no middle name but the Sears Co. presented the idea of labeling their sporting good line with his name and saw it more presentable labeling the brand as J.C Higgins. He worked with the company until his retirement as head bookkeeper in 1930. Higgins died in 1950. His expertise in sporting goods or sports is unknown.

#17 ·

What!?
I thought it was that guy from TX, that played Higgins on Magnum PI. ;D

#18 ·
Just a little update for y'all (and especially for you fellow Kalifornians). After calling this east coast store twice yesterday, and sending them four different e-mails from one of the Gunbroker moderators, a link to Californian 'import' regulations and a couple of more from myself begging them to reconsider their 'No Sales To California!' policy, I finally got them to see the light and persuaded them into selling me the 30-30. Yeah. Felt good to school some people on how things are really done here, and hopefully they will decide to sell more legal firearms to future Californians. So I think I did a good thing today. Plus I gots me my first lever action........ ;D

#19 ·
Seems to me your hard work paid off, now when you receive your Marlin pictures and range report. Feels good to win once in a while doesn't it, take care, John.

#20 ·
glockmeister said:
Seems to me your hard work paid off, now when you receive your Marlin pictures and range report. Feels good to win once in a while doesn't it, take care, John.
I most definitely will, John. Hopefully she'll come in the same day as my four JC Higgins shotguns.....and this other little thing I bought this afternoon on a whim. (what the hell I'm gonna do with it is beyond me, since I don't even hunt. But whatever, she's made of wood and steel and she's kinda sexy ;D )

#22 ·
Ricky B, ya got yerself couple of nice rifles there. I agree on the old Mauser, she is kinda sexy, wears her age well. DP

#23 ·
Thanx, Dpe. And I'm hoping to finally getting my hands on the Husqy next month, so that should make for an interesting & fun range trip. I'll post some pics from our Gun club afterwards.

In the meantime though, I gots a silly question----is it normal for the 336 barrels to get quite warm after just 3 or 4 shots? And even hotter after firing off six? I've only run one box each of Remmy 150 & 170's down her, as well as one box of Win 170's. I'm all new to this larger rifle hobby of mine, so I'm not sure what the norm would/should be. Were they designed primarily for hunting, where usually no more than two shots would be required? And more importantly, is the excessive heat gonna damage anything?......

#24 ·
The heat won't hurt anything. Some people report that their shots will string out vertically as the barrel heats up. I will get my best accuracy with the first five shots, but the POI doesn't move more than 3/4" and still holds descent sized groups. You have to love a gun that doesn't beat you up with recoil, yet has plenty of power. The cost of ammo is pretty low as well. Wally World has Federal's for under $12 a box, and when I load using my cast boolits it costs me .08 cents per round.

#25 ·
Ricky - As has been stated normal heating will not damage your barrel. Each gun is a rule into itself. As some get "hot" they will string, some barely move impact point. My particular 30-30, a 1947 model 36 shoots best after I fire 3 or 4 "fouling" shots from a clean bore. My Zane Grey, however, seems ready to shoot from the first round.
How fast are you shooting your rifle? You are correct in your statement they were designed for hunting, in all weather conditions, and in most instances a magazine full of ammo is more than you will need under normal conditions. Good luck with your purchase. Shenandoah

#26 ·
Ricky B said:
I most definitely will, John. Hopefully she'll come in the same day as my four JC Higgins shotguns.....and this other little thing I bought this afternoon on a whim. (what the hell I'm gonna do with it is beyond me, since I don't even hunt. But whatever, she's made of wood and steel and she's kinda sexy ;D )

Before Marlinitis hit me, I had, and still do have to some extent, Mauseritis. There have been a lot of bolt actions designed since the Mauser 98, but the original is still the best in my opinion. I even have a thing for the pre-98 Mausers and have used a number of them, my favorites being the Swedish 6.5 X 55's and the Argentine 1891's in 7.65mm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.