Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Marlin 1895M in .450 Marlin (serial number 95008265) and was shooting Hornady 325 gn Leverevolution ammo and every shot but one resulted in a jam in my gun so bad that i either had to take the magazine tube off, or wedge the stuck round out with a screwdriver. It did not fully transfer from magazine tube into lifting mechanism to be chambered and could not be pushed back in the tube or pulled out into the action. I have never had this happen before shooting other ammunition, including reloads. Any suggestions on what may have caused this?

·
Super Moderator
15,213 Posts
It's a 2005 rifle... It should already have the dimpled follower... But one quick way to be sure is to load a flat point first then a Hornady round and see if it feeds right...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I tried to max out the OAL with 250 grs monoflex in my 45/70 after modifying the carrier to accept longer rounds, so I don’t have to shorten the cases. Additionaly, I tried to reduce the seating depth to gain more volume. Result: as you described.
Increasing the seating depth / reducing the OAL made the rifle work again.
So maybe the rounds are too long.
If you don‘t reload, I guess it‘s the magazine tube. Maybe it‘s bended, dented or too narrow.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Sadly the Hornady 350 grain JFP ammo is gone. One of the best factory ammo ever.
The 450 ME reloads easily. Speer 300 JHP (actually just a FP with a small dimple), the Hornady 350 JP, or 400 grain JFP over top Re-7.
Just stay away from true hollow point bullets like the Remington as they blow up in deer.

I never shot the FTX ammo or bullet. I reload for everything and didn't want to deal with the short cases for the FTX.

Reactions: vt4ster
1 - 20 of 27 Posts