Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I recently acquired a circa 1979 Marlin 1894 in .357 magnum. It's in good condition and shoots well, but I am experiencing this problem: When loading rounds into the magazine, at about round 3 the lever pops out about one inch and no more rounds can be inserted. I can hold the lever closed while pushing that round in and continue, but if I release the lever it pops back out of closed position and the problem returns.

Has anyone else had this experience and know of a remedy?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip gunscrewguy. I stripped it down and cleaned it up when I got it, but not quite that far. I do have two of these rifles around the same vintage, and although the tension seems the same on both, (somewhat stiff), the problem only occurs on one. I'll try to remove the spring and clean that area up and see if things improve. Do you know if a lighter spring is available?

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
No, a lighter spring is not available for the finger lever plunger. Unless you can find one about the same size and repurpose it.

If you want it lighter, you can drive out the retaining pin and cut one turn off the finger lever plunger spring. Be careful that you do not take off too much. It is a very tiny spring and it isn't compressed very much in the first place. If you take off too much--2 turns, you'll be looking for another one. I suggest you cut off 1/2 turn at at time. Stop after 2 cuts, one full turn.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
I don't think you want the spring lighter...that may be why the lever is popping open ...but I doubt it. I bet the lever plunger has gotten rounded over time. You can dress it up with a file very easily or order a new one. I have dressed dozens, fixes the issue 99.9% of the time. Just my .02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts