Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an SS and haven't fired it yet. The action seems rough, but maybe that's because I haven't worked it regularly. My big concern is shooting at the range and then the gun jams. I have no idea what to do next, and the thought scares me. Can I transport it safely? Can a novice like me actually fix it without endangering myself or others? I want to have this worked out before I fire that first shot. Any input is appreciated!

Mark

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Reference Library on the fix.. print them if you like..

we also have directions on how to smooth it up .. but working it will do it also.. while watching tv crank it couple hundred times.. ;D

They are not smooth as silk.. they need to be levered like you got a pair. and full cycle . out and back

·
Registered
882 Posts
The key to unjamming a Marlin lever action is to remove the lever screw. It may be difficult to turn, but once it is removed, it takes the pressure off the lever and the carrier. Take a properly fitting screwdriver with you to the range. I found that one of the screwdriver blades on the large Leatherman tool exactly fits the lever screw.
As long as the bolt is open, or the bolt is closed on a FIRED cartridge the rifle is 'safe' to transport. However, there may be local laws restricting transport of loaded firearms.
M.

·
Registered
882 Posts
If the bolt and lever are closed on an unfired cartridge at the range, fire it.
Marlins typically jam with the lever open, unable to be closed. This is caused by a cartridge in the magazine jamming the carrier so it cannot move. This traps the lever so it also cannot move. Sometimes the cartridge can be pushed back into the magazine freeing the carrier and lever. Otherwise remove the lever screw to free the lever.
Sometimes the bolt will hang up as the cartridge is fed into the chamber. To clear this just move the lever backwards slightly, then forward to chamber the cartridge.
Don't worry, you may never see either of these jams at the range or in the field. Just shoot your rifle and enjoy it!
M.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Before you ever get to the range you should know how to tear it down and clean it, that means removing the lever, bolt and ejector.

Even if the mag tube is loaded at that point I don't believe any LEO would write you up for carrying without the bolt or lever in the gun.

Learn that before the range session and go with confidence and take care and have fun. Swany

1 - 6 of 6 Posts