Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a hay farm that's being overrun with jackrabbits. We went out there last night before dark with my 22 hornet and 1894 357. I started shooting at 150 to 200 yards with the hornet as they came out of the sagebrush. We shot from about 8 pm to dark. As we were shooting as it started to get dark the rabbits were coming out of the brush in droves a lot of them beyond the range of the hornet. My friend told me they were going to go out tonight with shotguns to thin them down hopefully. The rabbits eat a lot of hay and it's his livelihood. I like shooting jackrabbits and it gives me a good reason to go out and shoot and it helps him out in the process.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Use to be a lot of jackrabbits around here , but I haven't seen a jackrabbit in years.
When I was younger I use to go jackrabbit hunting all the time, lots of fun.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
As a kid I too use to shoot jack rabbits. Lots of fun. Have a lot of fawn memories putting a bead on old Thumper.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
138 Posts
I sure remember some great times hunting jack rabbits with my grandfather out in the middle of Kansas (Sylvia)
during & after the alfalfa harvest. They were all over the place and my dad's 1906 Winchester pump never let me
down...always brought back 15-30 rabbits. Some went to the dogs we used for coyote hunting, but most went in
grandmas' old cast iron frying pan. That fried wabbit was really good. I didn't know until this thread that they
probably were raised on alfalfa. Never thought about it and Gramps never mentioned it.
I sure would like to go on that hunt again.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Living in the southeast I have never seen a jack rabbit but I would love to be able to go hunt them in the numbers like you guys are talking about. Sounds like a ball and able to help someone out at the same time.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
One loped past me while I was dove hunting this year then he stopped in a dusty area and rolled like a dog in the dust and took off again.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I had a friend that lived on the edge of sage brush. He had jackrabbits that would come in and sit just out of range untill too dark to shoot. They would pull up young corn shoots and didn't eat most of them, just pull them out of the ground and leave them on top of the ground along the row. I had a new in the box Redfield bullet drop compensator scope. I loaned it to him and he dialed it in for his 22 magnum. Those rabbits would set where they thought he could not hit them and got fooled big time.He put a stop to them in a hurry. They were smart enough to leave his place alone after a day or to of that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts