Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see all sorts of designators for jacketed hollow point bullets,

JHP, JHC (Sierra), GDHP, JHC (Buffalo Bore), XPT, GD, among others ... then there are the Soft Point and fully jacketed, which is another question.

I am wondering about the uses of these various jacketed hollow point bullets. I'm loading 158 and 180 grain rounds. I plan on using some on coyote, some on whitetail deer, and even some for bigger predators (2 legged (personal defense), as well as 4 legged (when out in the back country)). The Sierra bullets (JHC) are more of a semi-jacketed hollow point, while the Buffalo Bore folks refer to their JHC, as jacketed hollow cavity ... each of these look quite different.

What opinions do you folks have for which to use for:

1) personal defense against 2 legged predators
2) personal defense against 4 legged large predators
3) hunting light game, like coyote, wolf, dog ..
4) hunting medium game, like whitetail deer

2 legged range on order of 10-40 feet,
4 legged range 25-75 yards

The gold dot look to me like they would have deeper penetration, yet the XTP seem to get that label when reading web sites, and I get the opinion that the semi-jacketed HP bullets are best for target practice (they tend to clog in real world uses).

What experience do you folks have with these ?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Humbly, but what caliber/round are you talking about?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I can speak for #4 on your list.....whitetail deer.

Last year I loaded up the rem 300gr JHP for my 45-70. Not chronied but for sure pushing them relatively fast....only .5gr back from max load.

So last fall's michigan firearm deer season I was hoping for a round that will put a buck down right where it stands (I know this doesnt always work...but it's worth a try). A buck walked out at 105yds distant on a snowy evening with fading light, the factory open sights a bit high in the "golden triangle"....and BOOM out went the lights.

That buck went down like it was hit by a UPS truck on christmas eve. I've never witnessed a buck being body slammed before. It kicked up snow it hit so hard.

Will I use them for the Elk hunt this fall in Colorado? No. But for whitetail it's like a ballistic tip for the .270

·
Registered
195 Posts
The number of bullets out there can get confusing. I would suspect that whatever brand of jacketed hollow point you go with will work fine as long as it’s from a reputable manufacture.

The only thing I can provide any input on is bullet weight. For personal defense and hunting medium to large game my rule is to always use the heaviest bullet available. In your case the 180 grain you mentioned. For smaller game I would go with the lighter 158 grain bullet.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
957 Posts
What you are shooting them in makes a big difference. Bullet that behaves perfectly at 1200 fps from a 4" revolver is likely to blow to smithereens at 1750 fps from a carbine. I favor the 180 grain bullets for carbines.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies so far .... I'm shooting a .357 magnum ... I have a 6" 686 and a Marlin 1894C .... Today at the range I shot my 158 grain JSP, reloads. I reload them with 7.8 grains of Unique and the 6" 686 yielded 1450 fps and the Marlin gave me 1790 fps. Currently this is the handload I carry when I'm out hunting coyote.

I bought 180 grain Buffalo Bore and the 180 grain Partition Gold that I carry when I go fishing up in the Sierra's.

I'm thinking of trying a hollow point to use instead of the JSP's, but as I've indicated there seems to be a myriad of descriptors. I was thinking of buying the Gold Dot in both 158 and 180. In fact, I already bought a box of Gold Dot and a box of XPT. I loaded 25 of each , in 158 grain. I used the same load I use with the JSP, 7.8 grains of Unique, WSP primer and 1.585" COL. I got 1465 fps out of the 6" 686.

This is where my question comes in. The paper results look the same. How are these hollow points going to act in coyote, or light deer (under 100 pounds), then how about medium sized animals (100-200 pounds), then larger animals (over 200 pounds).

I have a feeling that one choice is not best for all. I feel comfortable with the Buffalo Bore 180's in my 686, when I'm packing my fishing pole, up in the mountains, but doubt this to be a good choice for coyote, or ferel dogs.

So I'm hoping folks that have loaded these bullet weights would share there experience with the particular load on the particular animal used on.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Hook, speaking for myself and the rather limited time in testing the 300gr JHP Rem's.....

I cant wait to pop a coyote with it. Deer, I've already spoken on that. I'd use it on smallish black bears if I didnt plan on hitting the front shoulder bone. Would NOT use it on hogs unless in a pinch (since both of these are big hunts for me I'd reload with hornady 4502's 350grRN.

When calling coyote in the deep swamps of northern michigan the guide gun goes with me. Too many bears, wolves and the once in a blue moon cougar is enough for me to bring the heavy artillery. And you cant beat the quick handiness :wink:

I'll let the others comment on your self-defense questions :lol:

·
Registered
102 Posts
1 - 125 gr Gold Dot - 18.5 gr Win 296 @ 1800 fps.
2 - 200 gr wide flat nose w/ gc - 12.4 gr Win 296 @ 1335 fps.
3 - 158 gr jsp - 16.6 gr Win 296 @ 1610 fps.
4 - Same as # 3.

These are 4" handgun loads from a Winchester manual.

" NOTE: 296 powder is considered to be one of the best powders for use in magnum revolver cartridges. For such loads we strongly reccomend the use of Winchester or magnum primer and a very heavy crimp ( high Bullet pull ).
Failure to follow this procedure could result in poor ignition and/or squib loads under extreme circumstances, particularly in loads where less than 90 % of the available powder space is being used ( low loading density ) .
Do not reduce powder charges with 296 powder. These loads must be used exactly as shown. A reduction in powder charge in components can cause dangerous pressures. "

Happy Huntin.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I've only been reloading a year, but the answer seems to be: DEPENDS.

It depends on the speed (at destination), caliber, and intended use. Some bullets expand at different speeds. Kinda like .357 JSPs at handgun speeds are not that great for self defense, but at carbine speeds are acceptable because they start to expand. You can also expand too much and fragment losing effectiveness.

For hunting its a balance of penetration, expansion, and how much you tear up the meat/fur.

For self-defense, it's stopping power without over-penetration. There are experts that think you should NEVER reload for defense, because your life is at stake. They say buy big 5 American (Federal, Cor-Bon, Remington, Winchester or CCI) for maximum reliability.

My advice: read more at Marlin Owner's and read your reloading manuals. They both give great advice.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Your best bet will be to use the JHP's in the handgun, and the JSP's in the rifle.

The JHP's in the rifle will give good results, but may over expand and seperate at the rifle velocities at impact.

Your load with Unique is a good one. I have used that load for many years under either a 147gr Cast SWC-GC-HP (Lee semi-wadcutter, gaschecked hollow point) for about 1,250fps from my 4" Sec.-6.

I also use that load under a 164gr SWC-GC cast bullet and have killed a 200lb hog with it.

However, recently I've been using 14.5gr of Alliant#2400 for ~1,450fps and equal accuracy. The Unique load gives less flash and recoil than the #2400 load and would be a better self-defense load.

For your purposes, I believe you would like the new Hod.Lil'-Gun.

At 18.0gr it gives considerably better (lower) pressures than Unique,#2400, or either 296/H110; with equal or higher velocities.
I've only recently started trying this as most of my .357 loads have not changed for the last 20+years!!! I used to shoot them alot until 1995 when my former employer issued us Glock m20's in .40s&w.

I get just about 1,500fps with the 164gr Cast SWC-GC and very good accuracy with the Lil-Gun.

Your rifle with a 158gr JSP and Hod.Lil-GUN will get close to 2,000fps and good accuracy.

Good luck with your experiments!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts