Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i keep the FPS over 1000, can i SAFLEY use cast bullet
load data w/ jacketed bullets of the same weight?

i have a .35rem & some pistol bullets, & saw some cast
bullet data... would like to try it, if safe.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
476 Posts
That's a tough question. Generally, if the same powder charge is used with both a cast and a jacketed bullet of the same weight, the cast bullet will produce less pressure and probably higher velocity, up to a point. This is because copper jackets produce more friction within the bore, and the bullets are more difficult to form into the rifling, thus pressure tends to go up. So if the cast bullet data is used with a jacketed bullet, it's likely that pressures will be higher. Depending on the pressure level, that might not be a problem -- IF -- and it's an important IF -- the cast bullet pressure was fairly low to start with.

Since you're talking about a rifle round (.35Rem) and load data for cast bullets, it's very likely that the intended pressure level of those loads is light. Thus a jacketed pistol bullet could probably be substituted without an unsafe increase in pressure. However, there are some assumptions in all this, so be careful. Second, you mentioned the 1000fps minimum velocity. That's probably wise, as another danger is sticking a jacketed bullet in the bore due to not enough pressure to completely push it out of the barrel. With .35Rem, it's probably possible to run into some cast bullet data that is fairly hot, so it would be safest if you could get some idea of the intended pressure level of the cast load you're looking at.

When I'm exploring new loads for new guns, I try to look at as many load data sources as I can, so I can see patterns develope, and I can get an idea of the pressure levels of various loads. It would be worth your while to do some additional load research, but I see no reason you can't proceed with your idea. Just be prudent. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts