Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be loading for a new to me 1895 46/70. In Canada we are very limited to what our choice of cast bullets are, but we do have all the major players for the jacketed stuff. My inclination is to go with the 400 grain Speer and a max charge of H-4198. Some actual experiance first hand would be excellent.

Some background on me is I've hunted moose for 40 years and taken my share of them so I have a good idea of how they react to the usual .270, '06 etc. I am now hunting in a new area of the province and a lever gun is the best way to go here. The moose here start at 600 lbs. and go up from there to about 1200.

On a closing note. Do any of you fellow 45/70r's have a line on who ships high end cast stuff to Canada?

The rifle I purchased has the micro-groove barrel and I have seen it shoot some 2-4 in. groups with reciever sights at 100m. The chap I purchased the rifle from casts his own and has agreed to give me 50 to get started. They are a 405 GC grain bullet ,I believe, from a Lee Mould sized to .459.

I don't cast my own; yet. When I do I will be back here picking brains again.

Cheers and thanks people

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I'm from BC and have hunted moose and taken them with my 45/70. There are several good bullets available for the 45/70. Try looking up bullet reveiws on MidwayUSA. I would shy away form hollow points but I'm sure they'd work if not pushed too fast, as well, the 400gr Speer is somewhat soft so the same goes for it 1600fps or so. My personal experience has been with the 350gr Hornady which passed thru a (5-7?) bull moose. The Hornady is a great bullet in either the rn or fn versions. Jae Bok Young casts excellent bullets and ships them to Canada, I've taken bear with his 420gr 'crater' bullet and it dropped a bear in its tracks, most accurate bullet I've found in my 1895G.

Midway, .458 bullets.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...0&categoryString=9315***652***19785***9016***

Jae Bok Young

http://www.competitor-pistol.com/jb home.html

Cheers

Liam

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Hi Longshots,
Just follow Seabass's advice, I would personally go for JB Young's 550gr Crater. It is really hard cast (22-24 Brinell) and I plan to use it on Asiatic Buffalo here in Oz. Otherwise Woodleigh have a 400gr flat nose that was also especially designed for heavy game shooting.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are a number of options for cast bullets in Canada. If you are not a member of Canadiangunnutz, join them and get in touch with ben hunchak. He has or can make you just about any cast bullets you need. I particularly like the 405gr casts. He also has a 500 and 540gr bullet that might fit the bill. I seem to get a small but heavy package from him monthly. I get all my jacketed stuff off mysticprecision. Jerry can get you all the jacketed bullets you need as well. Although the market place is a bit smaller than the US...there definitely are some options...

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Morpheus32 said:
There are a number of options for cast bullets in Canada. If you are not a member of Canadiangunnutz, join them and get in touch with ben hunchak. He has or can make you just about any cast bullets you need. I particularly like the 405gr casts. He also has a 500 and 540gr bullet that might fit the bill. I seem to get a small but heavy package from him monthly. I get all my jacketed stuff off mysticprecision. Jerry can get you all the jacketed bullets you need as well. Although the market place is a bit smaller than the US...there definitely are some options...
Morpheus

Thanks for the info. I do belong to Candiangunnutz, but ben hunchak will have a username on the site. Perhaps you could email me his username and I can go from there. Not really familiar with this site so I'm not sure if it has a PM (private message) feature, if so you can utilize that; except I don't know how to access it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
PM replied to. Ben's name on CGN is....Ben hunchak...

His 405s are fantastic and were very accurate in my GBL and SBL.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Guide Gun really likes the remington 405s. It killed a nice cow in Ontario last fall at 75 yards, worked very well.

·
Registered
584 Posts
7mmRUM said:
My Guide Gun really likes the remington 405s. It killed a nice cow in Ontario last fall at 75 yards, worked very well.
7mmRUM

Was that a commercial 405 or handloads?

HA

·
Registered
122 Posts
HuntAway said:
The Bullet Barn has a variety of cast bullets, they're in Canada.

http://www.thebulletbarn.com/pricelist.html

Sharptail on this site makes them as well.

HA
bullet barn is great - pretty much the only commercial cast bullet option in canada.

bullet barn cast is pretty hard 25ish brinell .. if you want a .458 hole in and out they are perfect.

I like the 325gr FTX bullets .. they are readily available up here, have superior ballistics and will mushroom inside the body cavity. unfortunately you have to cut your brass down a 1/4" to accommodate the FTX bullet and you can not use the short brass with regular 45/70 bullets.

if you do use the bullet barn bullets .. treat your self to trail boss powder!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think the Remington 405 sp is tougher than the Speer 400. Here's both recovered at 100 yards at approximately 1600 fps muzzle velocity. These were shot into a pile of lime, which is ground up stone.
Remington 405

Speer 400

1 - 12 of 12 Posts