Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've got a gun from J Stevens Arms Company, Chicopee, Mass., USA. 20 gauge Proof Tested Model 258A. It was manufactured between 1937 and 1965; but, I'd sure like to pinpoint the date. I was told or read somewhere that a number, letter, or combination would be on the bottom of the barrel. (I didn't think to take pictures before disassembling it for refinishing.) I have seen several on line when searching for info. It is bolt action with a 2 shot detachable mag. On the left side of the barrel, just in front of the receiver, is a small circle (about 1/8 inch diameter) with three short lines (less than 1/16 inch long) evenly spaced starting at the outside of the circle and extending outward. One is pointing down, the other two at about 10 and 2 o'clock. This is stamped fairly deep. The name, where, model, and gauge are stamped a lot lighter, can not be easily read, on top of the barrel. Under the barrel, just in front of the reciever are the letters: P.T.G.A., stamped fairly deep and very plain. If anyone can tell me anything more about this gun, I would certainly appreciate it. I've been on the net searching for info, and at Savage/Stevens website. I was told to contact John Callahan be mail. I called Savage Customer Service and got a recording, prompting me to certain areas. At the end, I was told to contact John Callahan and was given his address. At one point I was told to press '9' to get the operator; BUT, (3 times) when I pushed '9', I was told goodbye and they hung up. Their site said that correspondence with them should be by mail because their email site was overwhammed. The stock on this gun is slick, but someone coated it with varnish(?) and has several runs in it. There is little to no bluing on the barrel, so I took it apart and started sanding the stock. If I can't get any answers from someone, I'll try writing to John Callahan. I don't know what he charges now; used to be $20.00, according to the website. And I was told that it could take several weeks, but I would get an answer. Thanks for any info you can supply. Red

1 - 1 of 1 Posts