Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I appreciate the well wishes on the vision problems, but no change yet.

I talked my wife into driving up the road yesterday to Claremore, about 25 -30 miles from here and let me scope out the J. M. Davis Historical Museum. I have lived here 25 years and have never been in the front door even though I have been by it numerous times through the years. Frankley I thought is was a "Tourist Trap", Wrong!!!. I walked around in there for a coule of hours and was impressed. There was over 20,000 guns and collections of arrow heads, beer steins, swords, and you name it. These guns are not junk, but most are very good specimans. I spent several week-ends in the Smithsonion Institute in their gun collection gallery years ago and this one is more elaborate than I remember about the Smithsonion. I am going back in a few days and spend the whole day in there. It's free with donations appreciated. A really nice neat place, for anyone to spend a full day if you happen to be in this area. Claremore, Oklahoma, about a 25 minute drive from Tulsa. By the way there is a very good Bar-B-Que place right up the road.

Kinda reminded me of when I lived in Oklahoma City and my place of business was about 6 blocks from the Cowboy Hall of Fame for something like 10- 12 years, and I never darkened their door until after I moved to Tulsa. I found out later they had a real nice gun collection there too.

DG :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the info. Many times I've gone past something local only to discover later that it was interesting.

BTW; Are you moonlighting for the "Oklahoma Tourism Commission" :lol: :lol:

Best of luck to you.
Dave

·
Registered
932 Posts
I went to that collection when it was in the old hotel in claremore back in the 60's. There were guns everywhere, not behind glass or anything. I got kicked out because I was picking up the guns and aiming them to see how they felt. I had been told by the old lady there that I shouldn't be handling the guns, but I couldn't resist so she kicked me out. I need to get back down there some day to refresh my memory about that collection.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, not moonlighting. This museum is now in a 40.000 square foot building. Everything is behind glass. Sarge if you want to pick one up and aim it, better bring a glass cutter or better yet one of your "Big Diamond rings". Seriously, this place is first class but it will take someone that's interested, a long time to walk through it. Leave the better half at home unless you want to get into a gun fight.

DG
Fullchoke said:
Thanks for the info. Many times I've gone past something local only to discover later that it was interesting.

BTW; Are you moonlighting for the "Oklahoma Tourism Commission" :lol: :lol:

Best of luck to you.
Dave

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Bring your camera too! They allow pictures, which is rare these days! I went there with my brother and our wives. My sister-in-law loved it, but my wife was bored in an hour. We spent the entire day there, with my VCR, and every so often I get the tape out and remember the event.
We left there headed to Cody, Wy. to see the collection at the Buffalo Bill Center, and although both are magnificent, I preferred the Davis Collection. Since it was his personal collection, it's not the case full of pristine, never been touched firearms, but rather very nice, but shot, and maintained specimens. Amazing that one guy could own such a variety of firearms!
I envy you Smoke! Wish I was closer, I'd be there once a month just to look again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since you are already in OK, you might want to check out the Frank Phillips museum, Wooleroc, I think they call it, it also has a lot of nice old firearms there, and some really neat Indian artifacts, along with some good taxidermy work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, Smoke810 and others, I was reading your posts and got a little homesick. My hometown is Longdale, OK, a wide spot in the road about 50 miles southwest of Enid. I haven't lived there for many years, but the folks are still there, so I try to get back every year. I have wanted to go to the museums mentioned for a long time, but it seems there is always something else I have to do. One nice thing, there is a rifle range about two miles from my folks' door, so when I do get back there, I make sure to burn some powder. Someday, I will get to those museums. :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andy

You know how it goes, "Once an Okie, always an Okie"

DG :)

AndyDVine said:
Hello, Smoke810 and others, I was reading your posts and got a little homesick. My hometown is Longdale, OK, a wide spot in the road about 50 miles southwest of Enid. I haven't lived there for many years, but the folks are still there, so I try to get back every year. I have wanted to go to the museums mentioned for a long time, but it seems there is always something else I have to do. One nice thing, there is a rifle range about two miles from my folks' door, so when I do get back there, I make sure to burn some powder. Someday, I will get to those museums. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
JM Davis & Woolaroc

Went to JM Davis after a basketball tournament a few weeks ago. The boyz and I had a great time. Well worth the price of admission (suggested price not required) any time. Also, the suggestion to go to Woolaroc is also great.....I've only been up here in Oklahoma for a few years...it's a shame I waited so long to go to the JM Davis museum....highly recommended by me!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Wow...Looking back here I found this thread. I was born and raised in Claremore Oklahoma and they are exactly correct about this museum! It's been a few years since I've been back down there to visit but I hope the tank is still out front too! Woolaroc in Bartlesville Oklahoma is another excellent choice for awesome firearms collection. Oh, and if that BBQ place you were originaly refering to just up the road in Claremore was "Cotton eyed Joes"...I'd be inclined to agree with you!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
We stopped there a few years ago on our way to Texas. An amazing place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts