Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever used JB Bore past to clean you rifle barrel? I would like to know your thoughts. How does it work for you and how do you use it?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I have a bit of it that I picked up at a match a few years back. I like to use it for the first few cleanings on a new barrel to smooth it out a touch and between jacketed and lead to... well pretty much just because I have it. Other than that, it doesn't get used. It contains a fine abrasive and a patch with JB will never come out clean. It will always be black. Use as directed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nightfisher I use J.B. bore paste. But only on extremely fouled bores , you know when you think your solvent went bad . A lot of bench rest shooters use it . I have mil-surp barrels that cleaned up like new. I use a worn out bore brush and wrap a patch around it , you want it very tight in the bore . then use kroil oil to clean the J.B.out . works for me .

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imashooter2 I got my JB bore polish about 4 or 5 years ago in some reloading equipment that I purchased from and estate sale. I have no idea how old it is but I was reading the label last night and it said it guaranteed better accuracy after cleaning. So is said what the heck just as well try it. It seemed to do a good job cleaning. I tried it on my 375 and my 45 Colt today. The 1894 LTD hasen’t had any jacketed bullets shot in it since last summer and has been cleaned several times with Montana Extreme and Butchers Bore Shime. I could hardly belove it when I started getting copper fouling out of the bore. I thought that the bores wer cleaned.

Maybe it will help the accuracy.

Oldbullet I am a firm beliver in Kroil. I use one third Kroil and Butchers to clean my bores usually.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Give it a good mixing first as it will separate from sitting. I only use it when switching from jacketed to lead or extremly fouled barrels and not much is needed. I don't use it often for reasons the others have stated. I did use it on a friends milsurp and accuracy improved greatly!

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
It can be very useful. One of the things I do with it is the final polish when I firelap a barrel. Leaves a mirror shine and fouling won't stick to the barrel. Just wipes right out.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
I use it on barrels but make sure they are clean with no copper fouling before use. Helps keep barrel from copper fouling worse in the future. I'm certain it helps in more consistent pressures which would give better accuracy. I put it on a bore mop and run it through back and forth.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't use it for routine cleaning but I do for special circumstances. I originally bought it to help me with a rifle I was having trouble with.

I have a Savage 99 in .308 that I bought used from a pawn shop. I don't think this rifle had ever been cleaned before I bought it. When I first looked at it at the pawn shop, I couldn't see any rifling in the barrel. I told the pawn shop owner that. He rummaged around behind the bench for a minute and finally came up with a cheap aluminum cleaning rod and a bore brush. He ran that brush through the bore putting a cloud of dust in the air and handed the rifle back to me and said 'there ya go'. Sure enough, the bore had rifling LOL. Not having much money in those days, and really needing a rifle for my young son to hunt with, I bought the rifle, took it home and started working on that barrel.

I'll bet I spent 40 hours cleaning the barrel on that rifle and I just couldn't get all the dad gum copper fouling out of it.

A couple of years later I picked up some JB bore paste after reading how benchrest shooters would use it and I tried it on the Savage. Cleaned that barrel up slick as a whistle. Even better it wasn't much work. I was really impressed. It really smoothed that barrel out too. I use the same technique that oldbullet describes. A bore brush with a patch wrapped around it, with a SMALL amount of JB's on the patch. A little bit goes a long way. Like I said, I don't use it for routine cleaning, but if I'm having trouble getting a barrel clean it's my tool of choice.

YMMV.

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
SkookumJeff said:
... a SMALL amount of JB's on the patch. A little bit goes a long way...
Dittos to that right there. I don't use it for routine or periodic cleaning, nor is it my primary cleaning agent for copper fouling. I still think Bore-Tech Eliminator is the best thing since sliced bread for copper fouling. Where I found the JB Bore Paste to work the best was after a some number of rounds through a cleaned (of course), new barrel. After getting some load testing, sighting in, and casual shooting for the break-in period (or honeymoon period, if you will), a thorough cleaning to remove any fouling (that's were the Eliminator comes in handy), then slip a patch with a judicious amount of JB (just like Skookum said) on a nylon brush and have at it per the directions.

Then swab it out like any other fouling -- Ed's Red does wonders at cutting and removing JB's quickly. And, it does a remarkably good job at helping reduce future fouling, at least in my experiences.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts