Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on here have one of the Iver Johnson 1911's

From what I can find out on the internet...and as we all know everything on the internet is true:ahhhhh: They aren't bad for the price.

I think I need this one...lol

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Looks nice, but no clue about them. To be honest, I was only aware of the "old" Iver Johnson company and this is new to me.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
If I'm not mistaken this is made on a set of original WW2 1911A1 tooling that the Philipines bought years ago. Several brands (Iver Johnson, High Standard, Rock Island and others) market guns from this source under different trade names, with of course some difference in finish and features. Never used one personally so can't comment on that aspect.

That is a nice looking pistol. The ones I've looked look good. As you noted, the reviews say it is a good functional clone. Be interesting to hear what the users here have to say. May influence a few more purchases.

Reactions: 35REMSHOOTER

·
Premium Member
18,171 Posts
I think there are now about six different brands of 1911's being made in the Philippines by Armscor under various names.......Iver Johnson, Charles Daly, the RIA stuff, plus a few others. Cosmetics are mostly on the dim side, but they all seem to be serviceable pistols. They ain't pretty, but they work.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
To each his own, gentlemen...but more so than just about any other handgun, the 1911 is a classic, distinctly American creation with a rich history dating back over 100 years, and so intertwined with the narrative of our great country, and many of the men who made it so, as to be inseparable...that I prefer those I own to be manufactured here in the United States.

Roe

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
To each his own, gentlemen...but more so than just about any other handgun, the 1911 is a classic, distinctly American creation with a rich history dating back over 100 years, and so intertwined with the narrative of our great country, and many of the men who made it so, as to be inseparable...that I prefer those I own to be manufactured here in the United States.

"BARENJAGER you are right:tee:,

But not all of us have thousands of dollars to spend on US made 1911's,if I were a rich man,which I'm not and most likely never will be I would certainly buy a US made 1911.

I would love to own just one of the 1911's you have pictured,you are very fortunate to be able to own such a nice collection of 1911's

I'm as Red,White and Blue as the next guy but some of us guys just have to settle sometimes for the next best thing.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
As I said...to each his own. I admit to having more than my fair share of nice 1911s but I'm far from a "rich man" by monetary standards, and it may surprise you to find that more than a third of the high end 1911's I own were purchased used for less than half of what they sold for new...most for under $600, some closer to $500. With the sheer numbers of US-made 1911s produced, the used gun market is fine place to look for your first..or your next. It just requires a bit of effort to search them out, but that hunt is half the enjoyment.

For what it's worth, with a bit of careful shopping new Ruger, Remington, and Springfield Armory 1911s can be found for less than $700, often closer to $600...base model Kimber's not much over $700.

Roe

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
In my state (Georgia) used Colts go for $800 up ,new Rugers $650,Kimbers new $800 up and Springfields which I just don't like $800 up...
Used 1911 are hard to find at all...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.