Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally found some .45-70 brass at a decent price. Now I'm really itchin' to reload, especially with deer season fast approaching.

I've been looking at bullets, but I don't want to get the wrong diameter.

I read that .45-70 should be .457. Is this correct, or do I need to slug my barrel before buying bullets to determine the diameter?

Also, any suggestions for specific bullets are welcome. :)

Thanks in advance,

~Rev.

·
Registered
464 Posts
usualy the jacket ones are .458, but the cast ones can go to the .461, depending on the mold, if you use the jackted .458 i think it's ok!

i also started very recently reloading (today :flute:) and didn't have time to try the loads yet, but tomorow wil be range day and the day of truth, or it will go smooth, or it will blast the barrel (hope not :ahhhhh:)!! lol

Good luck

Reactions: corrupt_reverend

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the prompt reply biri!

I was planning on cast. So do I need to slug the barrel for cast or is there a ball-park goldilocks size for 1895s?

·
Registered
464 Posts
that i don't know, but i think that would be better to slug the barrel first. But with .459 you should be ok with any barrel.

Reactions: corrupt_reverend

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Well, welcome aboard reverend.

Being as how I started with the 45/70 for one reason which was to use my own cast bullets, I'd sure recommend cast bullets of over 400gr and with a larger meplat, usually know as Wide Flat Nose or Long Flat Nose.

They are awesome in game taking ability!!!!!!!

Then you may find loading for a 45/70 to be a bit confusing to begin with because of the huge amount of info out there and the three levels of rifles for which it is published.

Just know that if your shooting a Marlin Lever action, any load listed for the TrapDoor or Marlin rifles will function and be safe.

Forget warp speeds as with a proper bullet the high velocities are simply not needed.

AS to size, if in doubt, go to .460 minimum. Once you slug your barrel you can go larger if needed, but .460 will be close and providing it functions in and out of your action, will be safe and not too large.

I shoot a 465gr WFN at 1650fps and it is very deadly on deer and elk!

Be aware that in some locations in Califunnyia it is illegal to shoot lead alloy bullets and I believe illegal to hunt with them anywhere with in the state. Stupid people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck, be safe and have fun!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Crusty!

I'll keep the .460 in mind but I think I'll go ahead and slug the rifle. Do you agree with the .002 over?

I'm pretty sure I'm good in my zone up until 2019 as far as lead goes. No condors in my area. :)

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
.002 over is what you want! There are quite a few bullet mfg's out there, but here are a few I'd recommend (got lots more types not pictured):
From Left to right:
9mm (this is just to show proportion)
147gr Lucky13 bullet company LRN .38cal (use this in 9mm or 38/357 pistols/rifles)
158gr Dardas Bullet Co. LRNFP .38/357
200gr Dardas Bullet Co. LRNFP .44cal
300gr Western Bullet Company .44cal
From here down are the 45-70 Bullets
350gr Dardas Bullet Company .45cal
350gr Nosler JSP .45
350gr Speer JHC .45
405gr Remington JSP .45
405gr Bear Tooth Bullet LFPGC .45
425gr Bear Tooth Bullet LWNFPGC .45
480gr Western Bullet Co. Spitzer
560gr Western Bullet Co. LCN
630gr Western Bullet Co. LRN
45-70 loaded with Dardas 350gr bullet

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
reverend

The 1 - 2 thousands over should be good.

Is you rifle a micro groove or "Ballard" style rifling?

Don't pay any attention to those who cry Wolf about cast bullets in the Micro Groove barrels. They shoot cast just fine but bullet to bore fit seems a bit more critical, likely needing a bit larger bullet.

Not talking a huge difference here, just a bit more critical to have the size right.

With alloy bullets being easy to put down a barrel without rapidly increasing pressures with larger bullets, a larger size is usually the better way to error unless -------------------

And this will be a rifle to rifle situation, say for example that your bore measurement says you should use a .461 or .462 dia. and you try that size only to have problems chambering the loaded rounds or find that when extracting a loaded round it is difficult or possibly a tight fit wants to pull the bullets from the loaded case.

AT that point, you might need a gun smith to open your chamber just a touch or you might need to change bullets.

In my RUGER #1S - 45/70, the first bullet I tried to hunt with was from a LBT (Lead Bullet Technology) mold and weighed 355gr. This was a Wide Flat Nose (WFN) profile, but it gave problems when chambering. I had my VERY TIGHT and SHORT throat opened a tiny bit, but still had resistance when chambering some rounds.

That bullet did not give me the groups or consistency I desired, and using it at just over 2300fps it was waaaaay over kill, that WFN non-expanding bullet making a huge wound channel. Let no one tell you that the WFN cast bullet is not effective on game.

Now, changing bullets after the council of some very experienced people indicated that on average a 45/70 just shoots cast bullets of over 400gr better then those of lighter weight, I went to a 465gr WFN which has proven to be awesome on deer and elk as well as giving better groups and consistency.

By the way, I'm shooting that 465gr WFN at about 1650fps. Sized, .460. AS said in an earlier post you don't need warp speeds to get er done with the right bullet.

Now the point here about bullet fit is, although the 465gr bullet was about 110grs heavier then the 355, the nose profile was enough different to prevent the heavier bullet from ever causing chambering issues.

So, say your bore needs a .462 bullet but a given bullet of .460 gives chambering problems, meaning you can't get to the needed dia. for your bore, the cure might be a change of bullets.

Really doubt you will have hard to solve issues, but should they arise, don't despair. Lots of knowledgeable people on this forum and the Cast Boolits forum and there is not likely an issue that hasn't been faced and solved and most, many times.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
46 Posts
Corrupt
.002 over is the way to go. I have had great results in My cowboy with Beartooth 425 - size .460. That wide flat nose is deadly on anything it comes in contact with. The only problem is that it takes about 5 months to get them after you order. I have also had good results with Laser cast .459 if I keep the speed under 1600 fps. There are many on here that have waaaaaaaaay more experience than me. The amount of combined knowledge on this board is unbelievable.
Good luck but most of all have fun.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
cant improve on what has been posted. good luck with your new incurable addiction!. tom

Reactions: glockmeister

·
Banned
651 Posts
Welcome and honored to have another 45-70 crazy on Marlin Owners forum. I shoot .459 laser cast bullets. My 300 grain bullets powered by 17 grains of trail boss is very accurate. It is also very easy on the shoulder. I cronied the loads around 1200 fps. Enjoy!!Good Luck!! As deerstalker said good luck on your incurable addiction.:biggrin:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I knew I asked this in the right place. :D

Thanks for all the insight, and the "welcome"s (though I've been here a while, just not active lately :p )

Looks like I'm shopping for some musket balls, then I'll move up to the bullets.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
C_R,
where in Hellifornia are you? Im in Ojai right now (hopeing like H E double toothpicks I get out of this state soon)

Doc

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
C_R,
where in Hellifornia are you? Im in Ojai right now (hopeing like H E double toothpicks I get out of this state soon)

Doc
Central CA near Modesto.

I've thought about ducking out as well, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to leave the golden state.

Besides, if we all leave, this gun-control douche-baggery will just spread to other states. Gotta fight! :)

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
My mother in law lives in Ceres and my wifes aunt and uncle live in Medesto... We have been up that way quite a few times in the past few years... Too flat for my taste.

I cant see this state ever leaning back to the right and feel its a lost cause so I need to get out... I would rather go down south to the Carolinas or some place like that where you can walk out into the woods and get lost for the rest of your life.

Doc

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My mother in law lives in Ceres and my wifes aunt and uncle live in Medesto... We have been up that way quite a few times in the past few years... Too flat for my taste.

I cant see this state ever leaning back to the right and feel its a lost cause so I need to get out... I would rather go down south to the Carolinas or some place like that where you can walk out into the woods and get lost for the rest of your life.

Doc
My escape plan is Montana ways if it comes to it. (I've got family there) I think you've got it worse down south though. My County Sheriff is pretty much a "shall issue" guy for CCW and we don't have to deal with the county/city restrictions that have popped up down there.

Really, I'm hoping for pressure at the federal level. I agree that this probably will never be a red state in my lifetime... (I'm holding back a tangent attacking both parties right now. haha)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts