Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25,109 Posts
I was at the pond catching bass that survived the cormorant that has been dining on them in my pond for the last couple of weeks, then I heard the thunder.

"Jet noise - the sound of freedom"; a sound all military personnel, and veterans know well. A sound most civilians cannot relate to.

I live about 10 miles due west of Rickenbacker Air National Guard Base, and I could hear them taking off this morning; the F-22 Raptors that were moved here temporarily to escape hurricane Florence. They must have moved the entire Wing from Langley there. I'm certain there were many other types of military aircraft from other East coast bases that were quartered here until it was safe for them to go back down South.

I remember when I was stationed at Wright-Patt many years ago; whenever there was a hurricane then, I had my own personal air show as all types of military aircraft were TDYed there. All branches, as well.

It lasted the better part of an hour-and-a-half. It felt like I was right on the flight line even though they were 10 miles away. Those Raptors have an amazing amount thrust when they blast off.

F-22s are the baddest of the bad!

Gr8rtst.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I would have love to have seen that.
Otherwise, I've just been seeing a lot of South Carolina license plates on cars, which are driven by people who have no clue where they are :driver::vollkommenauf::argh::dontknow::burnout:

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
Got a SIL at Fort Shaw.
Think the SIL said they have the largest squadron of F-15's in the US.
Year before last we were over there for a visit.
That week the F-15 pilots had some kind of training going on three of those days.
They live off base, where that is.
Most came right over the house as they swung in for the landings.

Man I was in heaven.
Yes!
God Bless our Military!!

RP

·
Registered
171 Posts
I live in the air capital and within a few miles of McConnel Air Force base. There are fighter jets and passenger planes constantly flying over. I literally see fighter jets almost everyday. I have been watching the Blue Angels in the air show since I was a child. They fly right over my house, I am guessing just a few hundred feet up, maybe less. Incredible, house shaking power and I don't have to pay a dime.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
My business park is next to Langley AFB and I get to see and hear the sound of freedom all the time. And yes I believe the AF sent everyone out your way last week. Traffic getting to work has been creepy as I was the only vehicle in the tunnel Friday morning going to Hampton!

The Navy sent ships out to sea and the other folks out to TN somewheres so they will be home soon.

It was very nice to live traffic free for a few days.

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
I grew up in Enid, OK, and we lived right under the southern final approach to Vance AFB. Grew up watching T-33's, T-37's, and T-38's flying over endlessly, and during the Vietnam era there were all kinds of aircraft rolling in overhead. Even better when there was an airshow there! Coming in on final they were flying as slow as they could, nice and low too. Got annoying at times, made conversations difficult. Got used to it though.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
On the USS Hancock, CVA-19, in 1968, my bunk was directly below the #2 arresting wire and the arresting engine was through the bulkhead next to my bunk. On Yankee Station we held flight ops all night and I could sleep through normal landings. The sound of a plane coming in too low would wake me up in time to hear the impact with the flight deck. Our only at sea TV entertainment was closed circuit views of the flight deck. Watched more than a few damaged A-4's and F-8's come in after missions lose their landing gear while landing. Thankfully serious injuries were relatively rare!!!!! Hats off to the sailors on the flight deck, they were phenomenal. We get a few stray fighters, F-16's I think, over my place from nearby Camp Douglas along with some of the turbo prop and jet transports low over my house working with the troops at Fort Mc Coy. Great stuff!!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
My brother was a fighter pilot in the Navy. I love going to his house near Oceana Naval Air Station. He was showing us around one day, checking out all the cool military sights around Norfolk and Virginia Beach. I noticed a lot of CAJN bumper stickers on cars. He explained that was an acronym for Citizens Against Jet Noise. Some people just don't understand the sound of freedom.

·
Registered
338 Posts
In the summer 81' my brother had just gotten out of the Marine Corps and I was going into the Army in Jan 82. We backpacked into the Adirondacks to Peaked Mountain Pond to fish and hang out. One day we hiked up Peaked Mountain (pronounced Peak-Ed) and they were flying out of Plattsburgh AFB to practice nap of the earth flying. It was so cool being above them looking down into the cockpit and seeing the pilot. You would hear a faint noise and then a roar as they came between a pass and drop low over the pond. Then slightly up and bank out through another pass. We were on a rock outcropping on a cliff and had the best seats ever!

·
Registered
25,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
My brother was a fighter pilot in the Navy. I love going to his house near Oceana Naval Air Station. He was showing us around one day, checking out all the cool military sights around Norfolk and Virginia Beach. I noticed a lot of CAJN bumper stickers on cars. He explained that was an acronym for Citizens Against Jet Noise. Some people just don't understand the sound of freedom.
I remember similar objectionable bumper stickers on civilian vehicles, as well.

When I was stationed at HQ, 8th AF at Barksdale, AFB in the mid 70s, being the 2nd Bomb Wing, it was B-52s (and don't forget the KC-135s there, as well) - all day, every day. And, we regularly played host to British Vulcan bombers when the Bomb Comps occurred.

Shreveport and Bossier City were its next door neighbors.

When we generated Worldwide Bomb Competitions then, it was jet noise 24/7; and yes, there were many civilians who did not appreciate that sound.

The anti-noise bumper stickers were similar, but were outnumbered by those that were supportive of them.

Gr8rtst.

Reactions: Jackel1

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used to live at the SE end of March. Would listen and see all kinds of air craft coming in. Every change of command or in coming plane. I especially enjoyed the F-4 coming in hot and dirty.
They would rattle the walls. Before the new constructions took place on Ramona Expressway my dad and family on the way out to Hemet, would stop and watch the tankers and B-52's do touch and go's. Awesome to see. Now the closest I am to an airport is Gowen Field. Every once in a while I see an A-10 or F-15. I hear the F-35 but have not seen it yet.

Reactions: Gr8rtst
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.