Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And of course I have months of firewood work ahead of me. I cut down my own trees for firewood. I try to stick with the standing dead trees, but every year I (or a neighbor) find the urge to cut down some live trees that need to come down for various reasons.

Since wood is all I heat my 2-story house with, I like to have no less than 5 full cord of wood, which is 15 face cord. I use an older 1970's Fisher Mama Bear that we wouldn't trade for any other stove.

This log rack is 16ft long, and this is for the live tree that my neighbor just had cut down. I've only got half of it split now, so it's time to get back to work.
IMG_20200619_141601.jpg

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hot here in the high desert, for sure!

When I built a home/cabin on a Maine back woods mountain side, a few decades ago,
I lived off dead fall and coal. A Round Oak heater, about 5 feet high, could take three,
or four, good size split wood and almost a 5 gallon bucket of coal. I could load it up in the morning,
take off on my snowmobile, and have a warm and toasty home to come back to at sunset.

It was a lot of work, collecting wood all summer, before snow came,... but, I was a lot younger then, too.

Good on ya, for being self sufficient!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hot here in the high desert, for sure!
When I built a home/cabin on a Maine back woods mountain side, a few decades ago,
I heated off dead fall and coal. Had a Round Oak heater, about 5 feet high, could take three,
or four, good size split wood and almost a 5 gallon bucket of coal. I could load it up in the morning,
take off on my snowmobile, and have a warm and toasty home to come back to at sunset.

It was a lot of work, collecting wood all summer, before snow came,... but, I was a lot younger then, too.

Good on ya, for being self sufficient!!

Reactions: ballistics04

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are way over due for some rain here. There's nothing above a 40% chance of rain for us in the extended forecast.

My neighbor has an old Round Oak wood stove that was purchased new by his grandparents many decades ago, a duplex wood and coal stove. I'll see if I can find a picture of it...

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ranchhand, did yours look like this?

IMG_20191019_101650.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts