Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20191011_150738.jpg
Its a .444. My new CVA Scout V-2. Its got a 22 in bbl with a removable muzzle brake, which I took off, and installed the screw on thread protector, that it came with, along with the scope rail. Its a break action, using the spur on the trigger guard.
I installed a Vortex 3-9x40 Crossfire II on it. I put a 40 obj lens on, to gather more light in the woods where I hunt. On my Marlins I have 2-7X32. Have to sight it in now. The specs say it has a 1 in 20 twist. Hope to get it done next week in the week days when the range isn't so crowded.
Dave

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Wow that is sweet,never seen one before.:joyman:

Reactions: Flat Top

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
I have the CVA Hunter in 444 Marlin. Its one accurate rifle. I am sure yours will be as well.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Very nice. Looking forward to a range report.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I have always wanted a single shot rifle. CVA has made those in 35 Rem in the past and I would like to find one of those. Would also like a Scout in 444 and 44 Mag.

I had a long talk with the CVA Tech and that action is probably the strongest break action rifle made.......and, like Ret_Eng said above, they are noted for being very accurate right out of the box.

Keep us posted on your range results...should be interesting!

·
Registered
102 Posts
View attachment 775081
Its a .444. My new CVA Scout V-2. Its got a 22 in bbl with a removable muzzle brake, which I took off, and installed the screw on thread protector, that it came with, along with the scope rail. Its a break action, using the spur on the trigger guard.
I installed a Vortex 3-9x40 Crossfire II on it. I put a 40 obj lens on, to gather more light in the woods where I hunt. On my Marlins I have 2-7X32. Have to sight it in now. The specs say it has a 1 in 20 twist. Hope to get it done next week in the week days when the range isn't so crowded.
Dave
I have one in 35 Remington that is my "muzzle loader" . It works very well. I have seen the 444 's but haven't bought one yet.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I wouldn't mind one. But I'm not sure that I would make use of it.

My start with .444 Marlin was a Handi-Rifle. (w/ Redfield Revolution 2-7x32mm)
Did me just fine. Killed many a pine chicken - with standard cartridges and handloaded shot shells - and one elk with a bullet swaged from a .40 S&W case.

Two years after filling that elk tag, I saw an unforecast storm moving in quickly, while I was out on a 6+ mile hike along a mountaintop ridge (~8,900 ft) in the same area. I was only about a third of the way back to camp when I got blasted by heavy, wet snow being driven sideways by 35-50 mph wind. By the time my brothers came looking for me, there was a 4" layer of solid ice that had encapsulated the rifle and my coat as a single entity. And that's when I found out that my Handi-Rifle had a water soluble finish on the wood... Great move, H&R. Great move. :damnmate:

I bedded the fore-end about 4 years ago (hoping to tighten groups a little bit, while also sealing the wood). ...Which was about the same time that I 'finished' the expensive 336-444 project, acquired the 2007 444, reacquired the cheap 336-444, and set the wheels turning for what would become the 444 square bolt (a Model 36 converted to .444 Marlin).
I can't recall the Handi being fired since... :dontknow:

But now I'm waxing nostalgic for the Handi's simplicity and lightness. Maybe I'll take it out tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
25,709 Posts
Jay (Ret_Eng) and I have had extensive phone chats regarding CVA and Bergara rifles. Besides CVA's strong break action, the real story is they use Bergara barrels. I've posted this before but for the OP, and those who missed it, I'll post it here. I trust you'll find it very interesting.

Jack

Creating Bergara Barrels in Spain | Shooting USA

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I wouldn't mind one. But I'm not sure that I would make use of it.

My start with .444 Marlin was a Handi-Rifle. (w/ Redfield Revolution 2-7x32mm)
Did me just fine. Killed many a pine chicken - with standard cartridges and handloaded shot shells - and one elk with a bullet swaged from a .40 S&W case.

Two years after filling that elk tag, I saw an unforecast storm moving in quickly, while I was out on a 6+ mile hike along a mountaintop ridge (~8,900 ft) in the same area. I was only about a third of the way back to camp when I got blasted by heavy, wet snow being driven sideways by 35-50 mph wind. By the time my brothers came looking for me, there was a 4" layer of solid ice that had encapsulated the rifle and my coat as a single entity. And that's when I found out that my Handi-Rifle had a water soluble finish on the wood... Great move, H&R. Great move. :damnmate:

I bedded the fore-end about 4 years ago (hoping to tighten groups a little bit, while also sealing the wood). ...Which was about the same time that I 'finished' the expensive 336-444 project, acquired the 2007 444, reacquired the cheap 336-444, and set the wheels turning for what would become the 444 square bolt (a Model 36 converted to .444 Marlin).
I can't recall the Handi being fired since... :dontknow:

But now I'm waxing nostalgic for the Handi's simplicity and lightness. Maybe I'll take it out tomorrow.
Like you my life gets consumed with projects and firearm development, etc, and of course there is hunting and fishing to be done. A while back my hunting buddy and I were discussing our "needs" for the types of firearms we have carried over the years for hunting. He cannot remember one time when he needed a follow up shot, and I could only remember one time....and I think that when most folks who are religious shooters and hunters, and take it all seriously, that follow up shots are a rarity. Lately we were discussing rifles in general, and I told him that I would like to hunt the rest of my life (whats left of it) with a single shot. My hunting is all close range...normally "feet", and I have only had one shot taken that was over 40 yards or so. There can be something said for simplicity and lightness....I could even imagine that CVA with a 16 to 18" barrel....that would suit my hunting needs just fine. A forum member that I know here has some short barrel Handi's and they are laser accurate, and user friendly....nothing better than that!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Like you my life gets consumed with projects and firearm development, etc, and of course there is hunting and fishing to be done. A while back my hunting buddy and I were discussing our "needs" for the types of firearms we have carried over the years for hunting. He cannot remember one time when he needed a follow up shot, and I could only remember one time....and I think that when most folks who are religious shooters and hunters, and take it all seriously, that follow up shots are a rarity. Lately we were discussing rifles in general, and I told him that I would like to hunt the rest of my life (whats left of it) with a single shot. My hunting is all close range...normally "feet", and I have only had one shot taken that was over 40 yards or so. There can be something said for simplicity and lightness....I could even imagine that CVA with a 16 to 18" barrel....that would suit my hunting needs just fine. A forum member that I know here has some short barrel Handi's and they are laser accurate, and user friendly....nothing better than that!
I'd still like to see you work your magic on a Ruger No.1 converted to 444! That's something that's very high on my wishlist.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got thru loading 50 rds of .444 to sight the Scout in, and shoot hopefully this week. Used some of my old stock Hornady #4300 265 grn FPs and 39.3 grns IMR 4198. W'ell see how it does. Bergarra bbls are suposed to be excellent.
I had seen that video on the NRA TV when we had satelite, a good presentation.
On another note... I have a Ruger #3 that was converted over to .444, but I havn't shot it in a while, along with its 45/70 #3 cousin..

Dave

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just got thru loading 50 rds of .444 to sight the Scout in, and shoot hopefully this week. Used some of my old stock Hornady #4300 265 grn FPs and 39.3 grns IMR 4198. W'ell see how it does. Bergarra bbls are suposed to be excellent.
I had seen that video on the NRA TV when we had satelite, a good presentation.
On another note... I have a Ruger #3 that was converted over to .444, but I havn't shot it in a while, along with its 45/70 #3 cousin..

Dave
Pictures of the Ruger?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I hope to see 'one-hole' groups.
I love it when big bullets make pretty little groups.

Absolfrigginlutely.
I've been taking away from the projects over the last few years by pouring my gun money (plus much more) into suppressors, barrel threading, and better supporting some wildcats that I work with.
Since I haven't been acquiring new projects that require time planning, I've spent a lot more time thinking about what I have, what I need, and what the future should look like.

Many of the conclusions that I've come to were happily RAMMED home the other day when I grabbed "Ole Reliable"** and the box of ammo that I used to drop two doe antelope last year in Wyoming. (Yes, the rifle has been sitting since then, uncleaned, and I trusted it enough to just grab and go. I love that rifle. :rock:)
What an amazing day. 8 doe antelope, for four hunters, in about 6 hours, with the first five dropping in the first 30 minutes of the hunt, from four different herds. Amazing day.

I opened the box to see two rounds fired. A flood of memories came back - from many hunts. On that one, that's all it took. "DRT" at ~415 and ~450 yard shots (ranged by my brother, but I don't remember exact yardage).
And that was just a week after filling my deer tag. Muzzle-stuffer tag. New .50 cal kit rifle assembled in an incredible hurry after bore damage was discovered in the .54 that I bought new in 1998, but had just gotten back from my father. Bang! Flop! About 90 yards. I did fire a second shot, but myself, my brother, and my nephew all later agreed that when I was pulling the trigger for the coup de grâce, the buck was already taking his last breath.

**(Sorry Marlin die-hards, "Ole Reliable" is a Ruger 77 Mk II "Sporter" [stainless/laminate] in .270 Win, with the barrel chopped at 19" and a SilencerCo Harvester .300 suppressor screwed on.)

Early on, I approached hunting with a different attitude. I respected the animals, but not as much as I do now. That, and the fact that a bad shot might mean tracking the animal through nasty terrain that's going to murder my back, hips, and knees, only to have to haul the carcass back through it again for even greater, longer-lasting pain. Pain is a great motivator.

Regardless of what's in my hands, I approach every shot opportunity on game as though I only get one.

One of the many memories...
On that hunt last year, my father [who has a history of bad shots, wounding game that has to be tracked for miles, and wasting ammo] was blown away when my oldest brother and I came walking back to where he and another of my brothers had just hauled a doe antelope to later load in his truck.
"Really? You dropped FOUR?! You've got to be kidding! This isn't funny. What really happened? I only heard two shots!"
Well, dad, those were [my brother's]. You didn't hear mine because of the suppressor.**
"Well how many did you fire!?"
Two. One for each of 'em.
"You mean to tell me that the two of you fired four shots and have four goats down?"
Yep. Don't yank the bang switch unless you know it's a done deal. Where do you think all this blood came from? He's gonna go back and start dragging again, while I get my truck. Mine are in a crappy spot, and I can't drag them any further without help; but his are close enough to the road to get them on the way by.
"Can I use your rifle? Mine seems to be shooting all over the place..."
Sure, dad, after we get these loaded and I can stick with you... (***)

**My other brother did hear the impacts from my shots, but not the report from the rifle. Very cool. Highly recommended. Confuses the hell out of animals. Very useful with multiple tags ... aside from the reduction in hearing damage.
***NFA legalities. Stupid NFA...

Reactions: Flat Top

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I'd still like to see you work your magic on a Ruger No.1 converted to 444! That's something that's very high on my wishlist.

Mine too (my absolute favorite).....or, maybe an SG 35 modified Ruger No. 1.....that would be perfect for what I hunt.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I hope to see 'one-hole' groups.
I love it when big bullets make pretty little groups.

Absolfrigginlutely.
I've been taking away from the projects over the last few years by pouring my gun money (plus much more) into suppressors, barrel threading, and better supporting some wildcats that I work with.
Since I haven't been acquiring new projects that require time planning, I've spent a lot more time thinking about what I have, what I need, and what the future should look like.

Many of the conclusions that I've come to were happily RAMMED home the other day when I grabbed "Ole Reliable"** and the box of ammo that I used to drop two doe antelope last year in Wyoming. (Yes, the rifle has been sitting since then, uncleaned, and I trusted it enough to just grab and go. I love that rifle. :rock:)
What an amazing day. 8 doe antelope, for four hunters, in about 6 hours, with the first five dropping in the first 30 minutes of the hunt, from four different herds. Amazing day.

I opened the box to see two rounds fired. A flood of memories came back - from many hunts. On that one, that's all it took. "DRT" at ~415 and ~450 yard shots (ranged by my brother, but I don't remember exact yardage).
And that was just a week after filling my deer tag. Muzzle-stuffer tag. New .50 cal kit rifle assembled in an incredible hurry after bore damage was discovered in the .54 that I bought new in 1998, but had just gotten back from my father. Bang! Flop! About 90 yards. I did fire a second shot, but myself, my brother, and my nephew all later agreed that when I was pulling the trigger for the coup de grâce, the buck was already taking his last breath.

**(Sorry Marlin die-hards, "Ole Reliable" is a Ruger 77 Mk II "Sporter" [stainless/laminate] in .270 Win, with the barrel chopped at 19" and a SilencerCo Harvester .300 suppressor screwed on.)

Early on, I approached hunting with a different attitude. I respected the animals, but not as much as I do now. That, and the fact that a bad shot might mean tracking the animal through nasty terrain that's going to murder my back, hips, and knees, only to have to haul the carcass back through it again for even greater, longer-lasting pain. Pain is a great motivator.

Regardless of what's in my hands, I approach every shot opportunity on game as though I only get one.

One of the many memories...
On that hunt last year, my father [who has a history of bad shots, wounding game that has to be tracked for miles, and wasting ammo] was blown away when my oldest brother and I came walking back to where he and another of my brothers had just hauled a doe antelope to later load in his truck.
"Really? You dropped FOUR?! You've got to be kidding! This isn't funny. What really happened? I only heard two shots!"
Well, dad, those were [my brother's]. You didn't hear mine because of the suppressor.**
"Well how many did you fire!?"
Two. One for each of 'em.
"You mean to tell me that the two of you fired four shots and have four goats down?"
Yep. Don't yank the bang switch unless you know it's a done deal. Where do you think all this blood came from? He's gonna go back and start dragging again, while I get my truck. Mine are in a crappy spot, and I can't drag them any further without help; but his are close enough to the road to get them on the way by.
"Can I use your rifle? Mine seems to be shooting all over the place..."
Sure, dad, after we get these loaded and I can stick with you... (***)

**My other brother did hear the impacts from my shots, but not the report from the rifle. Very cool. Highly recommended. Confuses the hell out of animals. Very useful with multiple tags ... aside from the reduction in hearing damage.
***NFA legalities. Stupid NFA...
Like you I spend a lot of time and effort pursuing that one hole group, and it DOES make a difference in the field.

I was at my benchrest club range many years ago and a fella was shooting on the bench next to me...sighting in for deer season. He was shooting at 50 yards...his groups were about 12 inches or so (it was an old military rifle of some kind)! He finally finished up, was not too happy with the results and just said "well, thats good enough for deer"! I looked over at him and said " that is an insult to the deer"!!!! He kind of hung his head, and then told me it was none of my business (which it was not, of course, but, I couldnt keep my opinions to myself back then!). I said "here...shoot my deer rifle and tell me what you think". He did not want to do it at first but I stood my ground and he submitted. He fired three shots at 50 yards...virtually one caliber sized hole. Then I urged him on to 100 yards, and his three shots produced one small ragged hole. I praised his shooting ability (he was a natural) and told him "if you can do that with a strangers rifle, just think what you could do with a rifle like this... that was yours"! He wholeheartedly agreed!!! I was only 19 or 20 or so at the time and just learning gunsmithing from my mentor, but, when the guy asked where he could get a rifle like mine, I turned him on to my mentor who built him an absolutely superb "budget" deer rifle from used parts (the guy didnt have much money), and when I saw him shooting that rifle at our club, I asked him how he liked it. He told me to look at his 100 yard target and through my spotting scope I saw one ragged hole!!! He told me that he "owned" any deer that he drew a bead on! I repeated Col. Townsend Whelens famous line..."only accurate rifles are interesting"...and that fella agreed 100% and thanked me for "butting in" when we first met.

Back to single shot rifles. I have read and heard that they can be a bit cantankerous....the forearm seems to be the culprit. Evidently CVA has corrected that issue with their design and the Bergara barrels are above reproach. When I was researching economy single shots the CVA's were always highly praised and 1" groups at 100 yards...out of the box and with factory ammo seemed to be the norm. As earlier stated, a conversation with CVA Tech, kind of sealed the deal for me. I would love to have a Ruger No. 1, but, the CVA at 1/3 the cost should produce the same results with a little time and effort. The CVA's seem to be a great value and consistent performer for a reasonable investment.

I an really looking forward to the OP's range results!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts