Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Its a sad day up here . . .

3K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  jesse82 
#1 ·
I took my baby, 1895gs, into my lgs today to get my front post switched. I recently installed the Williams guide gun peep sight but the front post was to high. I had a lower post but it needed a new fibre optic installed, so over to the shop we go. We found the right sized fiber optic for it but when the shop owner went to punch the front post out he broke the ramp, and the front screw broke as well :( the ramp broke around the rear screw. So now my baby is sitting at the shop waiting to get fixed. He hopes he can have it back to me next week. I dont think he will charge me anything but if he does how should I handle it? Its my fav gun shop in my area and the owner is a good person. I wasnt planning on shooting this weekend but now that I cant I sure wish I could.
Jesse

#3 ·
Im sure he wont charge me for this. He thinks he might have a hard time getting the front screw out. I hope to get her back in a week or so. We were both surprised when it broke. He thinks he might need to get his brother to machine the screw out. I just hope she still shoots as good when I get her back.

#4 ·
Just let your heart be your guide. There is a lot to be lost by having a disagreement with you favorite gun shop. Lot more to be lost than the price of getting a front sight fixed. Try to stay calm and follow your heart. Hopefully the shop owner will do the same. If he is a honest good man he will. If he doesn't then take your repair work someplace else. By doing that you won't burn any bridges and will still be able to buy firearms and supply's there.

Best of luck on the repairs
Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

#5 ·
Good advice 444

Reactions: 444GunSlinger2
#6 ·
Did he use a sight pusher? I don't have one and have punched a number of sights with a hammer and punch but I'm not a gun shop. If I was, I'd have a sight pusher. If he's a smith, getting the screw out shouldn't be a big deal.

Is this guy an actual smith or is this a gun seller who works on guns?

Doesn't change anything but might be worth thinking about for the future.

#24 ·
Did he use a sight pusher? I don't have one and have punched a number of sights with a hammer and punch but I'm not a gun shop. If I was, I'd have a sight pusher. If he's a smith, getting the screw out shouldn't be a big deal.

Is this guy an actual smith or is this a gun seller who works on guns?

Doesn't change anything but might be worth thinking about for the future.
Eli,

I was thinking the same thoughts!

Smoke

#7 · (Edited)
No he used a hammer and brass punch. And I dont think he is an actual smith but he has one that works there. He was just changing it for me while I was there.

#9 ·
I have taken out a lot of front sight blades over the years and never supported them but just the other day I installed a skinner blade in my 1989 Model 1894 45LC and noticed the ramp was loose when I returned from the range and when I looked at it one screw was broke and the other screw was stripped. Boy was I P.O ed. That little rifle had the smallest screws I have ever seen on a front sight ramp. I took it to my friend who is a gunsmith and he drilled my ramp for larger screws and drilled the original holes in the barrel out and tapped them to accept larger screws so I was back in business and didn't charge me a dime. He had a little bo bo while putting a sling swivel on a rifle I had several months earlier and felt he owed me. He is a good friend but you can bet next time I will support the ramp when I put a new blade in.

#11 ·
Well my take, from being a gun shop owner
IF he has to invest time into the repair, time costs money
how much time, would make the difference in if there was a charge or not
seems the reason he TRIED to install the sight himself, rather than let his smith do it, was to speed things up to tey to help you
accidents happen even when best intentions are at hand
so if it was me, even if he didn't charge me, I would throw him a tip
as he did try to help
and IF YOU didn't think it was up to his skill level, , maybe you should have suggested his smith do ir and thus have to wait till he would get to it
sounds like you both jumped the gun , to try for a speedy replacement, and now its burning both of you's
so, a dealer may or may not charge you
but me, being me, if he fixes it fast and it took him time, I would throw him a tip at least
its good to have a dealer that works with you
maybe not if he breaks stuff lol
sorry
but still, working with a good dealer, can pay it back many time over, over the yrs in other ways
better you treat him, many times better he treats you in long run
good luck

#12 ·
jesse, you're no further behind than I was with my new Remlin. It had one screwhole stripped and the ramp was basically held on by locktite.

My smith moved the ramp back about 3/8" and drilled/tapped 2 new holes.

I don't let guncounter guys work on my guns (I've had similar experiences with simple jobs). I'd mention to him that he should eat the cost, but I wouldn't burn any bridges...now you know why there are gun counter guys and then there are gunsmiths.

There is an excellent smith in Toronto, who does all my work now. PM me and I'll give you his name

#13 ·
I'm a contractor and if I screw something on a house I pay for the material and labor to fix it. If I tore shingles off and it rained and ruined drywall I'm sure most people would never pay me for repairing all the damages and material. I'm sure it was an honest mistake but to learn from your mistakes you should pay for them or you will continue making the same mistakes.

#14 ·
Its kind of like children. When you buy something for them it will be broke in no time. But if you make them work and pay for it it will be their baby and will last a lifetime.

#15 ·
A sight pusher has been mentioned as has supporting the front ramp if using a brass punch.
I damaged a front sight ramp myself one time & the price the smith charged to fix it would have paid for a sight pusher.
I got mine from Brownells, they are under $100, not really cheap. They are cheap however if you compare a trip to the gunsmith & down time for your rifle. Supporting the ramp while using a brass drift punch will do it too, but a sight pusher takes all danger from the removing & replacing a front sight with a ramp.

#16 ·
I did that to the ramp of my 1894ss .44 magnum all by myself. Broke both screws. Ended up epoxying (JB Weld) the ramp in place. So far it has held up well.

#17 ·
Sorry for your problem, but glad you posted this. I had not really thought about supporting the ramp. Guess I have just been lucky. I will certainly do so next time I replace a front bead.

#18 ·
"when the shop owner went to punch the front post out he broke the ramp"

yikes!!

without saying bad things - move on to another shop - unless he comes around and offers repairs..

even the average table top hobbyist would remove the base as a unit and and either use a sight pusher as mentioned or a vise holding the base while drifting the blade..

sorry to hear about the trouble - i think you might be better served going to a smith - having the holes cleaned out for proper screws - the epoxy - may hold.....

#19 ·
Rkcohen the only way to remove the ramp is to take out two screws, one of which is under the dovetail peice that holds the front bead. So without removing that peice how would you suggest the ramp be removed?

#20 ·
Jesse is right. You can't get the ramp off without first removing the sight. And the barrel of a .44 magnum is very thin. When I epoxied my ramp on I also epoxied new screws in place. (The threads were damaged getting the old screws out). If that hadn't worked I had a gunsmith, who advised me on the epoxy and pressed my new sight in, on standby to do a silver solder job.

#23 ·
ditto on the pic request

#25 ·
Plenty of good advice here to which I'll add...none.
However, in a worst case scenario occurs where you cannot reasonably replace the ramp with reworked/revised/relocated screws, you might consider a front sight ramp/band as seen on several safari rifles as well as Ruger #1s.
Aside from the sexy curves, you'd have a sweet and unique piece with a history of genuine care.

#26 ·
Well I just talked to the gun shop. He is waiting for a front ramp to come from marlin. Should be here and installed next week. He isn't charging me anything, I didnt think he would. But I will be taking some coffees over with me when I go. Good customer service goes along ways.

#28 ·
I agree 100% I didnt know they made a front sight pusher for them. By my lgs is taking care of me. At no cost to me. So I figure a round of coffee when I go pick it up will be good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.