Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Well as many of you are like me and in search of that perfect marlin and cant seem to find it. You have undoubtedly bought and sold a few, or just bought.LOL
I have had a JM GS a JM MXLR a JM 450p a JM 444p and a few 30-30s All where great but lacking something. I recently got a JM 45-70xlr and was going to sell it because it was too long and it was a JM and a shame to cut up. But then I thought WHY NOT its mine. This will be my primary do everything gun and hopefully accompany me and my horse on many adventure.

SOOO. Here she is thus Far cut to 20" and a full tube.
IMG_1152.JPG IMG_1153.JPG IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1156.JPG

Up next I will mod the lever to a med sized loop and get a smith to re install the front sight. Im also going to smooth off the receiver edges a little and probably do a little more work on the crown. Once Im no longer a student a sexy piece of walnut will be in order from treebone carving.

What do you all think.

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Hey CT,

Looking good!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
That's a gutsy move there but I think if you get some real wood on that thing you will have a winner. I understand manufactures trying to save money and resources, but that laminated stuff.... just hind of makes me want to puke.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Laminate has a use. That is it takes a beating and bumps and bruises don't show as much. But I love a nice piece of walnut.

I liked my short marlins but found a little longer pointed much better. Being on the west coast stainless is a must for a bush gun(my opinion) and marlin does not make a 20-22 inch gun in a big bore stainless. This one is 20" from the receiver so its more like a 21" barrel

·
Registered
211 Posts
Honestly, this looks better than I expected. I like the mag tube length compared to the barrel. More than a few of us out here would love to house that rifle. A 45-70 lever gun is something special and that one you have is something extra. Happy shooting! Are you planning on keeping it iron sights, or are you oing to scope it? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Outstanding Mr. Smith! Very nice. I agree a nice walnut stock will do nicely. I agree laminate has it's place, but walnut just looks right. Beautiful rifle my friend.
JB

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This Will stay open sights. XS to be exact. I don't have the tools to drill and tap for the front sight and I don't want a dovetail sight in the barrel. So soon as I finish off my other plans for it off to the gun smith it goes for that. I will also be filling the extra dove tails at some point.

·
Registered
493 Posts
That's a gutsy move there but I think if you get some real wood on that thing you will have a winner. I understand manufactures trying to save money and resources, but that laminated stuff.... just hind of makes me want to puke.
I like the laminate if the right colors with the right Metal/Firearm ........ ones with that look Like C.T,'s ....... :congrats:

·
Premium Member
15,419 Posts
looks good

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
I LIKE it, but I'm not crazy about those 24" & 26" barrels anyway.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I like it c.t. The walnut will, IMO make it right.

What procedure will it take to fill in the dove tail? Been thinkin bout increasing the mag tube on my GS but keeping looking at the dove tail under the barrel. Just wondering?

Mop

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm just going to buy dove tail fillers probably from skinner sights and file then down to fit the barrel profile or use the extra piece of barrel to make a filler. But its not to noticeable to leave it empty. iIv seen guys use epoxy to fill them as well. Not as slick but works.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Looks great C.T. and I couldnt agree more, ITS YOURS, Make it how you want it!!! I also agree with using the laminate on it as a brush gun...

Doc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts