Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well 2 weeks ago saw a bigger bear but did the deed 5/1/11 2pm on a smaller bear.
She was old the wild life biologist told me as he pulled her tooth.
weight 150-170lbs shot at 270 yds with a 7mm Wea. 160gr. Speer bullet. She went 40 yds down a creek into dense coastal brush.
3 of us walked down to track her down with handguns. lots a blood we spread out about 15 yds apart moved slow we saw her I was 12 yds
from her and the other guys about the same. She was spread eagle on her back and dead which was good with us.
Took 2 hrs to get her to the truck.
That is her in my avatar with my 45-70 which was sidelined again because of distance.
After the work was done we took a scenic route home ran another bear down the road and took some time to let my nephew get acquainted with
the 45-70. reloads are 300gr @ 2100fps / 350gr @ 1975fps /and 500 cast @ 1325fps. He smiled and thought them 300gr were stout ;D.
Mabe next week end mabe he will get his bear with it and I will get a video

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Very cool, me.

·
Registered
20,300 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Congratulations on your bear!
We can't hunt bears here in the spring, but if I draw a bear tag this year for the fall season I will be fighting the same delema as you as far as wanting to be prepared for a shot over 200 yards. I'm sure my 45-70 will win out for bear but the 45-70 and my 300mag will be fighting it out until the last minute for elk.

Key

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea good hunt.Even though she was a runt. Thats the biggest work out I've had in a while. I just got her cut up and in the freezer

firearmnut Welcome to the forum. I'm 100% with you on the point system.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Nice bear, I think it's always good to take out the old ones, before they get sick/starve,etc. I can't/won't chase after dogs, so want to bait hunt a bear. My dilemma is similar to yours, the best/closest place to me is where the shots are long on berry eaters. I have shot alot of game at long range, I want to wait and shoot one up close with my 45-70...which means saving my coins! Good luck on the rest of your hunt. BTW, how do you cook that nasty thing?

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
preacher
Not fried done that. Being kinda greasy I love it barbecued. It makes good chile after barbecued.
Also we had 2 hams cured and that is darn good. My brother like bear more than deer now he likes to cook his in the oven with a orange juice
and spice marinade.
In Oregon we can't bait/ they are talking about dogs on a 5 yr trial but It will not happen and those that would use dogs don't want the cost
of building a pack and training to hunt for 2-3 yrs.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
BBQ bear sounds the best, as I understand bear is kin to pork? Do you tan the hides yourself or have it done, or chunk 'em?

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a friend that is a taxidermist. He beetle cleaned and whitened last yrs. bear skull and we had the hide dry tanned.
This year I gave him some claws and my sister wants some claws.
As for this yrs hide I froze it with the head in and may use it as a prank during the fall hunting season ;D You know with a video
camera always wanted to do this ;)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Nice bear and yes we need to take out the old ones also.For cooking Bear we cook it in a large pressure cooker first and then slice the quarters up steak size and then cook over charcoal grill with barbecue sauce.Tender and tasty as a young one.Pressure cooker helps tremendously. Mike

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks I wanted another 150lbs but a dead bear is a good bear :)

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Sorry, me, but every time I see your avatar pic, I think about the right to arm bears...

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
miatakix said:
Sorry, me, but every time I see your avatar pic, I think about the right to arm bears...
;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
11,962 Posts
Our regular "fall" bear season opens in a month, August 1st.

I am all excited about getting out after one again, with my son. Always fun!

Guy

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
miatakix you didn't know bears were under armed ;D
M700 August 1st is now the start of fall hunts for me to. Used to be sept.Grouse or deer season.
Looking forward to finding a fat bear my 45-70 can hit ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Man! You guys are killing me with the puns!! ;D :) ;D :) :D

Nice bear, me. Thanks for sharing it and the furrin' details.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sweet bear! I am another who is looking for a fat bear this year with my 45/70. The hams and sausage will be more than I can bear ;D ;D ;D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts